1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1949 Model 12 Info Needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dave-320c, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Hi:
    I am looking at a 1949 Model 12. It has more than likely a 28", though the sellers says 28.75", full choke barrel with a Simmons pinned rib. Wood is XX, and the stock is non-MC. Standard checkering. Bolt is not engine turned.
    Did Winchester make a 28.75" barrel?
    Is it a gussied up field model, or a more "custom" offering from Winchester?
    Seems to be in very nice shape, maybe 97 or 98%.
    Any idea of value?
    Any comments are very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave Swerdlin

2. dave-320c

3. dave-320c

Pat:
    Thanks for the comments.
    I will see if he will ship the barrel separately so I won't have to FFL the whole gun. That way I can check the barrel. Otherwise I am looking at a $100 to FFL to California.
    Any other comments are appreciated.
    Regards,
    Dave

4. 333t

333t Member

Dave:

Are you measuring the barrel with it removed from the receiver? If so, you are getting a short measurement. I would guess you might have a 30" if measured with the barrel mounted and measured from muzzle to rear end of chamber.

Phil

5. dave-320c

Phil:
    I am going to see if he will send me a picture of the barrel next to a measuring tape.
    That should save everyone a lot of trouble.
    I am hoping for 30", but if it is a 28", I would like to know a value range.
    Thanks for commenting; would appreciate any input.
    Regards,
    Dave

6. 333t

333t Member

Dave:

I'm pretty sure its a 30". A 30" barrel is 28.75" if measured from muzzle to where the receiver flange starts, but is 30" to the rear of chamber. Some model 12's had Simmons ribs from the factory. If it has a factory rib, it will show offset proof marks on the barrel and receiver, just to the side of the rib. A factory trap gun of this vintage may or may not say "trap" on the magazine tube but will generally have a fancy stock with very little drop at heel, a LOP of 14.375, and a solid red recoil pad. Many of these sell in the $12-1500 range on Gunbroker and other websites in good condition. Good luck.

Phil

7. dave-320c

Thanks to all for your comments.
    It is a 30" barrel.
    Hopefully it will find a new home with me.
    Good shooting to all.
    Dave

8. dave-320c

Seller just stated it is a 29.5" barrel with a choke that a dime can fit into.
    The saga continues. Comments still appreciated, especially as to vaue.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The only Winchester factory rib available in 1949 was the 2 pin milled rib. Simmons never had anything to do with it. Not until 1954 did simmons patented ribs get installed by Winchester ,only a very few were marked Simmons as they were Prototypes. Offset proofmarks mean little,you can still buy a factory stamp. Sounds like the barrel is cut , If the gun is sound and you like it , have screw chokes installed if the price is right. Buy the gun less the cost of choke installation .Need more info on the gun , Wood quality and condition to give an opinion on value. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.