1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**1948 8N Ford** OT

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by InsureGuy, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Good Evening, Jut wanted to show you a picture of my 8N Ford freshly restored. It's been a work in progress for some time but it's finally done

Jason

insureguy_2008_0303.jpg

2. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

Wow!! That's nice Jason!!

3. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Jason,

Nice looking tractor!!

I have a 1949 8N, bought it a few year ago. Had to rework several things on the tractor,rewire ect...Sure enjoyed doing it. I use mine to cut the grass with a mower in the summer and use the blade in the winter to plow snow. Sure is a work horse. Hope you enjoy yours.

Good luck

Dennis

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Great job. I have had two of them...wish I had one now. Saw one in TX that had been restored and I think the guy wante $5K for it.

JON

5. neofight

neofight TS Member

Be still my heart!!! beautiful job. Hat is waaaaayyyy off to you.

6. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Gents,

I actually purchased the tractor to restore and sell. My initial thought was I could make a little money on it. That thought has totally left my mind now. Between the $1200 I spent going through the engine and the new rubber all the way I could not hope to recoup the expense that I have incurred. I am going to put it up for sale in the very near future, just not sure which venue would best get it exposure. I just thought that I would post it here. I almost hate to get rid of it. It should be a legacy for the kids, but they are not interested in it. I am glad that you guys appreciate it. I have not heard very many positive comments about from my other half.

Jason

7. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Jason,

You never get out of them what you have invested. A friend of mine restored one with his dad before he passed. He would not part with it for all the money you would offer.Think of it as a past time, kind of like trapshooting!!

Hope you decided to keep it.

Dennis

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Great looking tractor. It probably didn't look that good when it was brand new.

9. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

2 coats of automotive color matched paint on the body, and 3 coats of paint and hardner on the sheet metal. In different pictures it shines just sitting there.

Jason

10. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Have had two 8N tractors and always thought of them as my therapy machines. So simple to maintain and so pleasing to the ears. Traded last one for my TMX which is also easy to maintain and pleasing to the eyes. That is a beautiful machine you have.

11. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Such a great tractor. To this day one of my favorites that I have ever used. First tractor I ever drove at my first job I ever had.

12. james dent

james dent TS Member

nice tractor my family has 2 old ford tractors that my family started the farm with learmed how to drive on an 8n an 641 workmaster still have them today working on getting the 8n to look as nice is yours been busy with old john deere johnny poppers

13. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Great job, Jason. That really looks good. As has been said, it's all about the project, not the tractor itself. You should be proud.

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

'Tis beautiful; a friend of mine has one that's unrestored. He told me, that for safety, if these are going to be used, particularly on uneven/off camber ground, a roll bar should be added. This "city boy" hasn't a clue about the limits of one of these and wouldn't dare drive one until throughly checked out.

15. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

About a 400-500 lb. front weight ballast box will do the trick...

16. SCL

SCL Member

Great tractor, helpless with a loader though LOL. You did a wonderful job. If you sell it look in to Yesterdays Tractors . com or eBay, if you dare. This is a labor of love.

Scott

17. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Brings back memories from the 50s when we used these things. If you used it hard you had to overhaul every year. Total cost $120 parts and labor. Kids learned to drive these on the farm at about age 8. Never had very good brakes, but better than the 9N and 2N. I never heard of one upset in use. Set the wheels out and you couldn't upset it sideways. You could cut doughnuts in the wet pasture grass. With the add on overdrive it would run 25 mph. No need of 500 pounds on the front. The 3 point relief valve would shut off at about implement weight. These were so popular worldwide that it had one of the highest survival rates percentage wise. Been there, done that.

18. Shane in WI

Shane in WI TS Member

Great looking tractor and wonderfull restoration. My dad rebuilt and used a 51 8N and had it since the late 50's. That tractors name was "ELMER". I grew up with it. I had to have my own so I bought a 52 and named it Henry cause that was the old guy who owned it. Great tractors. Does everything we ever needed them to do.

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Beautiful!

Is this considered a Dexter model?

Guy Babin

20. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Guy,

I dont think so.

Later I will post a few picture during the restoration.

Jason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.