1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1940 Texas State shoot in Houston

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by little sis, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. little sis

little sis TS Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Does anyone know if the Houston newspapers would have items about the shoot ?
    I think it was the year George Kemnitz won, but it was so long ago I could be off by a year. Have the registered shoots held in Houston still on record somewhere ?
    I remember that Glen McCarthy was one of the shooters in the finals.
    Thanks, Pat Laudon
  2. johnpe

johnpe Member

Oct 11, 2006
    I can't answer for certain, but in those days a trapshoot - especially a large one would have been covered by the newspapers even more thoroughly than major baseball or football games are today. Give it a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

3. JPM

JPM Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Houston, the fourth largest city in the United States, has only one major newspaper, The Houston Chronicle. Their website is Chron.com It's only significant competitor, The Houston Post, went out of business years ago.

It is a good bet that the shoot you are interested in was held at the Greater Houston Gun Club and there is some possibility that there may be a record available through that club. Good luck with your research.

John Matthews
  4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Unless destroyed by water or fire the records should be on micro-fiche or CD. They may do the research for a fee or may allow you to do the search yourself. Some newspapers wont let you near their archives unless you have a court order.
  5. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

May 18, 2007
    If memory serves me right, Greater Houston didn't open until late 50 or early 60's. Most of the shotgun shooting that I remember was at the South Main Club,out past the Shamrock Hotel a ways, not far from Elliot's Steak House.
  6. Landshark

Landshark Member

Jan 18, 2008
    The Greater Houston Gun Club opened in 1959.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.