1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1930's sterling silver ATA trophies

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodie johnson, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodie johnson

bodie johnson Member

Hello, I have for sale some really nice 1930's ATA trophies won by E.W. "Ted" Renfro back in the day. I have posted them on ebay, so if you are interested in them please take a look. Please email me or give me a call at 307-690-9971 if you have any questions. Bodie Johnson

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Have you contacted the ATA Hall of Fame to see if they were interested in any of them? Larry Evans

3. bodie johnson

bodie johnson Member

The story on this collection is that I found it in an antique shop in Montana. The lady who owns the shop said that she was thinking about selling it as scrap silver since the prices are up. I bought the trophies to keep them intact and I would like to see a fellow shooter get them. If the ATA Hall of Fame is interested in them, then it would be the perfect place for them. I wish I could afford to just donate them but that is not the case......

200x200, very impressive for that year.

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

Tanda, would you prefer he let the antique shop sell them for scrap silver? I don't know if he's trying to make a profit on them or not, but he did save them from being scrapped. Comments like yours will just cause the next guy that finds something like this to let them get scrapped. I really don't think he's done anything to qualify as a scumbag just because he can't afford to donate these trophies.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bodie. You are welcome here and I too have found lots of stuff in antique places that I ultimately sold elsewhaer. Too, I have purchased many estate items that have been welcomed by folks on TS.com. We do not live to donate our efforts. Often we dual post things on ebay and link them here to a TS.com thread. Bodie, I say bully for your efforts and thanks a lot for letting us know that you have this stuff for a collector.

And Bodie... Come on back again.

Jack Swanson

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Bodie.. Please E-mail me directly with what you'd like to get for the set.. thanks.. Mike

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Bodie.. You have an E-mail

8. JACK

Wow! Bodie is one of my heros. Check him out

Statistics for Bodie R. Johnson - #9305682

Not many guys shoot to a 95 average in handicap. I knew I had heard the name...

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Tanda1, if anyone here is a scumbag its you. I know alot of people who will send the money to save something from the furnace. They might not be able to keep it but they are thinking of the history of the item. To me that is what he's doing. He is not able to keep it for himself but he is letting those who can know about it. Remember Snyder? He had some one post here on TS.com about a turn of the century Grand ATA award pocket watch. A very nice still working pocket watch. No one bidded on it but he called and they agreed on a price. He saved a vintage ATA award for everyone to see that was from the Grand past. Is he to a flea market scumbag??? I think not. What you said was uncalled for. Back off.

10. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Bodie, Please accept my sincere apology. I screwed up and was out of line.

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Good man. Thank you for doing so.

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Click the Vegas Farewell link and notice that Brodie won the last-ever doubles championship there too.

Neil

13. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Most/some of the ATA "Silver" that I have incountered was Sterling thus not worth anything on the silver market. I'm by no means a authority but this has been my experienc. Post-2

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Post-2: Sterling is worth the money like sterling dinnerware etc. It's the silver plate that's worth $0 dollars. Dave T.

15. JACK

I gave a sterling trophy* to the Georgia HOF and they promised they take a picture of the prominance they gave it. It must be still on its way. It was a handicap championshiip trophy frome way back when held at the Atlanta Gun club.

Actually, whatever they did with it is OK. When you give something it is their choosing.

*I bought at the Minnesota Decoy collectors annual event.

16. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Ted Renfro (far right) pictured with a group of great shots in 1934, Pt Angeles, WA

Another thread says "The Renfros" are managing the Horseshoe Bend GC in Idaho. This may be Ted Sr's. son and daughter-in-law who were very active shooters years ago.

17. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

DaveT. You are correct my thinking was backasswords. Thanks for the correction. Post-2

18. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Bodie, I suggest you call the ATA office and get in touch with Kenny Ray Estes who is the Hall of Fame Director. Maybe recuryarcher will read this thread and get involved in organizing a purchase of the collection as she did with the 1924 GAH trophy 2 years ago. Larry

19. bodie johnson

bodie johnson Member

No offense taken, I know there are situations which are all to often taken advantage of. To everyone else, thanks for the nice comments and support.

According to the shop owner, the trophies were taken to the shop by a family member, and were there when she bought the business 25 years ago from her aunt and uncle.

My phone was dead, so I will return any calls when I turn it back on. Thanks. Bodie

20. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

If the HOF is one of those 501c3 things, you can deduct the value of the donation. Depending what tax bracket you're in, the deduction may net you more than you paid for the trophies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.