1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1916 Ithaca 4E Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by samiam03, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samiam03

samiam03 Member

I have a 1916 Flues Ithaca 4E. I have been surfing the web looking at other examples and I see a marked inconsistency of 4E's. Mine is very similar to some of the other examples but with a couple of major differences’. A.) mine has a safety. B.) mine has a Pollard relaxing trigger. Additionally if my gun was engraved by Jim McGraw - did he sign his work and if so where. I've included a website that has detailed photos of a 1917 example with the notable exception of the absence of a safety.

Are there any early Ithaca Flues 4E aficionados out there who could answer my questions?

BTW the gun is not for sale

2. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

I have a really nice Anton Right-Handed roll-over if your interested. Josh

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Most parts will not interchange and would need refitted . The Ithaca SBT was built one gun one Smith so they are all a little different that goes for wood also .

4. samiam03

samiam03 Member

This would be the weather conditions (below) before she (oh she who must be obeyed) will let me buy a another shotgun.

Sam

[​IMG]

5. 333t

333t Member

I would guess your safety and release trigger were added sometime after your gun was made. I have a couple of well detailed books on the Ithaca SBT guns and nowhere are these options mentioned. Bill McGraw signed some of his work behind the engraving of the trap shooter in some short grass. As I understand it, all his work wasn't signed however.

Phil

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Sam, I also have just spent the last hour in my books and nowhere is there a mention of a safety or even the option of one on an Ithaca SBT. It would help if you posted pictures of your gun. Include pictures of water table. The picture below is a 4E knicks gun signed by McGraw just behind trap shooter just above knee level. Bill

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00033.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

7. BustClays

BustClays Member

Heres where the McGraw is on one of mine.

bustclays

<a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/rdrnr/?action=view&current=P1020611_edited-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

8. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Wow - that sure answers my question about "are there any Ithaca Flues 4E aficionados" - I'm really impressed.

I bought this gun and had it restored in the early '70's and have never fired it. I lived in D.C. and was so afraid of it being stolen that I stored it with a relative and sort of forgot about it.

Apparently I want to start shooting trap again - or that's what I told the anesthesiologist (as I was going under) when she asked "What are you going to do after your eye surgery?".

But before I start another obsession I need to do my research.

Any additional information that any of you would like to share - I'm a sponge. I have a lot of questions - there are some very puzzling aspects to this gun.

I greatly appreciate the information all of you posted (except for dumping my wife) - I'm in awe!

I will do my part and post detailed photos to add to the knowledge base before I send it to Les at Diamond Gunsmithing an evaluation.

Thanks again all.

Sam Carr

9. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Quite a learning curve to doing macro shots with a digital camera. Here are pictures of my gun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any one know why there are holes just behind the safety? On the barrel pic the cutoff portion reads 'Dr.Pollards'

Comments good or bad are welcome. Any information anyone would like to share would be most appreciated. I am not trying to sell this gun - I think it needs more restoration - that's why I'm sending it up to Les.

Sam

10. samiam03

samiam03 Member

any one?

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Note how trapshooters used to dress; "competition in other places.."

12. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I owned Ithaca 4E SN 404839, (now apparently owned by Mike Weatherby), this gun was signed: Bill McGraw, the name was engraved on the lower rear edge on the left side of the receiver.

Berettaman7

13. BustClays

BustClays Member

hey sam,
    interesting that your gun has a lefty shooter. My three are 1950's vintage and all have righty shooters and an indian w/bow drawn on the reverese side.

bustclays

14. samiam03

samiam03 Member

I'm assuming that each engraver had their own distinctive style. I've examined the engraving under magnification and I can't find an engraved name anywhere.

Anybody have an idea who it might be?

Bill Grill - you mentioned the term water table - I understand the term in geological context but I've done some searchs for the term on this forum and I still don't have a definitive understanding of the term.

BTW Bill - I've read a number of post from you concerning your gun collection - where is this museum and how much is the entry fee?

Sam

[​IMG]

15. BILL GRILL

Sam,
    Flat spot on reciever where barrel and reciever fit together is the water table. I would say those two holes do not belong there and the safety was added
    after. Bill

16. Murphy

Murphy Member

You might also look at double gun journal . com Walt Snyder who wrote a book on Ithaca, is a frequent poster there.

17. BILL GRILL

Sam,
    I have Walter Snyders email if you would like it. PM me. I also have his phone number if you are interested in one of his books. If you are interested in the history of Ithaca's you would enjoy his book very much. Bill

18. samiam03

samiam03 Member

I suspect that Dr Pollard had something to do with the holes. I plan on taking a look at his patent.

My birthday is coming up which is always "then buy your own damn present" I'll get both books

Thanks Murphy1 and Bill

I've included a close up of the water table:

Sam

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bill mcgraw of ithaca gun engraver obituary search
dr pollards relaxing trigger
is there a safty on a ithaca century trap
ithaca 4e knick with mcgraw engraving

ithaca 4e singel 1916