1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1911 Suggestions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Colonel Reb, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I'm thinking about getting a .45 auto. No need for top of the line, but I do want it to actually work. There are several basic models out there: Springfield Armory G.I., Taurus, Auto-Ordnance, and High Standard. Which one is the best?

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I talked with a former Marine armorer who works exclusively on 1911s. Since he does not sell guns, just works on them. I asked him the same question you have asked. He asked me 2 questions: 1. What was I going to use it for? Answer: target shooting (non-competitive); bowling pin fun shoots, home defense. 2. How much could I afford to spend? Answer: Want to keep in the $800 - $1,000 "ballpark". He said that for that money the best buy of any is the Dan Wesson Pointman Seven. All parts are top quality (most parts are from Ed Brown and STI), each gun is hand-fitted, and he is totally impressed with the quality and workmanship of the parts. I then went on-line and looked up the reviews and the Pointman came out clearly as a top choice. Others may have other favorites, but I bought a new one for ~$950. Best Regards, Ed

3. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Well, if I had a thousand bucks to spend, I would buy a Taurus PT1911 and $450.00 worth of ammo and a holster. It has most of the bells and whistles that a thousand dollar gun has for half the price. I have put about 800 rounds through mine so far without a single bauble or hic cup. Very accurate right out of the box. John

4. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

Thanks for the info. I wanted to stay in the 500 range, and the Taurus certainly fills the bill. I agree that Rock River is probably the best, but it's way out of my price range. My trap gun is an 870 Classic Trap if that tells you anything.

5. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

You can go to www.1911.org they have a ton of 1911 information and a specific thread on each and every brand. The Taurus is a very good gun though. I think that there may even be a slightly used on on there right now. John

6. mt

mt Member

budsgunshop.com has a sale on the taurus 1911 for ...499
    they also have some nice paras on sale in the mid 600 dollar range and some nice smith and wessons like the pd in the 700 dollar range. The sig gsr can often be found on sale as well in your price range.

personally i purchased a used SA milspec A1 that the previous owner added a bunch of stuff to and hardly shot....that worked out very well for me and was quite inexpensive.

if you've never had a 1911 before, make sure you spend some time learning how to take it apart...lots of info on the web....there are a couple of nuances and you'ld hate to put a scratch on that new gun....its very easy to do.

7. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Im not sure you could buy a great 1911 NEW for $500. I would look around for a used Smith.

Forrest

8. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Buy the Taurus, it is already ready to go. John

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Springfield Armory

John C. Saubak

10. suptlloyd

suptlloyd Member

I just traded for a Springfield Armory Micro Compact. I really like the way it feels and shoots!! Great trigger. Night sights. etc. Price was $600.

11. WGB

WGB Member

Save up and get something with a forged frame instead of the cast frame models. Your close to the price of a used Kimber or a Colt.

12. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

I have a SIG GSR Stainless 1911 .45 ACP for sale. This GSR has less than 500 rounds through it and is in excellent condition. It comes with the manual, the SIG lockable case, a SIG lock and 2 Novak 8 round magazines. This 1911 is built with a Caspian frame and slide with other parts from EGW, Grieder Precision and Performance Engineering. It has Novak night sights and checkered custom Herrett’s wood grips. I bought this a few months ago and had my gunsmith polish all the springs, the spring housing, the sear, the hammer and the feed ramp. This results in a very smooth action. I’m selling it because I need the cash. I can send photos. Asking $850.00

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL
    (XXgbatch@comcast.netXX) delete the Xs if you email me

13. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

If you are going to shoot a lot and want a "right" gun then you are going to work on or put parts in almost any inexpensive gun that you would buy. A top quality gun would be mostly set up/tuned and you are paying for it. You pretty much always get what you pay for. So here is what I would do. Prob a Colt, mostly because thats what the 45 is in my mind. Prob well used, maybe not even worth much. Then lots of small parts and tuning by a competent pistolsmith. A 1911 that is tailor made for you will fit and shoot the best and I would expect it would be a piece that you would be more satisfied with in the long run. Put that money in it over time rather than all at once and it won't hurt so badly.

14. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Here is a pic of mine and the only thing that I added aftermarket was the cocobolo grips. John

15. Duck

Duck Member

Nice looking gun John!.

16. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Springfield Armory, or used Colt or S&W SW1911. Phil E

17. scottheid

scottheid TS Member

Taurus PT 1911

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Colt

Kimber

Wilson

19. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

Well, both the Taurus and the Springfield are forged not cast. I suppose the Springfield would be easier to upgrade if needed since it is essentially the base of their higher end guns. I wonder if the Taurus models accept the American aftermarket parts companies' products as easily as other models, but then again the Taurus pretty much has everything done to it already.

20. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Is the High Standard a good gun. Gander Mountain has them on sale for $459.00 I think. Just curious. Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.