1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1911 in 9mm Recommendations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I'm considering getting a full size 1911 in 9mm for range use. No interest in spending the extra $ for .45 ammo. Prefer to spend less than $1,100.

Models I'm considering include:

STI Trojan

Springfield Service

Smith and Wesson Pro Series

Any advice on other models that I should consider?

David

2. k80bking

k80bking Member

David, I've been shooting a Kimber Stainless Target II in a 9mm for about 5 years now , No major troubles ,just a fun gun to shoot. My 2nd choice would also be the Trojan. Bill

3. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

I shot an STI 9mm at the range this week. Not sure which model it was but it was a full sized gun. I was very impressed.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Modify slightly and get a Browning Hi Power- you will be glad you did and for 1100 and you can have some trigger work- and some customizing done on a used one

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Gene,

Would you advise a new Hi Power or one of the older ones?

David

6. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

STI Trojan

7. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

For a 1911 in 9mm, I'd go with the STI Trojan in your price range or a Dan Wesson PM9 if you can stretch it out.

8. thunder

thunder Active Member

Can't go wrong with STI

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

STI Spartan...slightly less than a Trojan. Got one from Dawson Precision for about $650. Great gun/fun for the $$ Regards, Ed

10. wdan99

wdan99 TS Member

I have a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 loaded target model in 9mm that has functioned flawlessly for years and is a pleasure to shoot. Great way to maintain proficiency with the 1911 platform at much less cost.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would get whatever hi power you can get at a reasonalble price and do some customizing

So even if the finish is worn etc it might not actually cost anything more to get the frame stippled - etc-

I would put a set of Novak sights on it and never look back because with a trigger job and some good groups it is not only fun to shoot but can be used for many different tasks-

9mm 1911s are kind of bastard children- cost the same new- big loss in value when you try to resell plus you dont get the advantages that the hi power has

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS a listing like this with an asking price of $600 is an example--- http://www.armslist.com/posts/1131988/fresno-california-handguns-for-sale--browning-hi-power-9mm-pistol

Sometimes you get lucky and a trigger and action job has already been performed

I dont know that person selling that gun but it gives you an idea of what is out there-

12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Stay away from the Hi-Power. Long trigger reset. Magazine safety.
    Sights on most versions are not state-of-the-art. It was a good
    gun in it's day but it's day has passed.

13. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Keep in mind this fellow named Skybuster has shot competitive pistol for 30 years and the advice he has given me on a .45 are right on the money. YMMV. Scott

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Oh Pishawww!!!..The Hi-Power is as good today against the new stuff as the old ones were...and with a very easy and inexpensive trigger job they will shoot with any out of the box 1911 platform...If its a 1911 you want in something other than 45ACP...get a 38 Super..way cooler

15. 687 Trap

687 Trap Member

I would take a close look at the Springfield 1911 A1. A lot of gun for the money. Mine handles any ammo I put through it without a problem, even my lead bullet reloads! Very good shooter. Gun will need a trigger tune-up, but that will be true of any off the shelf 1911 you decide to buy.

My two cents worth!!

Ron

16. Rem 1100

Rem 1100 Member

I'll second the STI Spartan I picked mine up used for 599, accurate and dependable and the price is right!Hasn't given me any problems.great gun for the price. Good luck with your search!

Chuck

17. coltlover

coltlover Member

Love my Trojan 9mm. Also have an Armscor 9mm w/ a 22TCM barrel. It holds 18 rds of 9mm. What a hoot to shoot!
    coltlover_2008_03034.jpg

coltlover_2008_03035.jpg

18. thunder

thunder Active Member

I have a STI Ranger with night sights, this is a 4.26 inch barrel and very nice. Night sights single dot in rear would rather have double dot in the rear sight. Like I said before can't go wrong with the STI Line and the price is right. The trigger is awesome out of box.

STI Spartan around 635.00 from Thunder Mountain, AZ. Mike is very good to deal with and will go thru gun. Talk to him and he will make sure its setup for you, usually without extra charge unless you want other parts added to it. Also he includes shipping to your FFL.

Trojan is another great gun in STI lineup and around 1008.00 for 5" model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.