1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1911 gunsmith recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hardcsh, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardcsh

Hardcsh Member

I have a Colt 1911 and would like it set-up, slicked-up and accurized along the lines of an Ed Brown, Les Baer and Wilson Combat 1991?
    Can anyone recommend a qualified gunsmith?

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Ross Carter. But be prepared for a 6 month wait. He's good, but busy.

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Second for Ross. He's a member of this forum. I've have two 1911s built by him and they are superbly crafted and extremely accurate.

Ross has some health issues which can limit his building days but the wait is worth it.

All excellent gunsmiths have long wait periods.

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Tom Mason & Co. Excelsior Springs, MO. great work

5. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Terry Tussey, Moundhouse Nevada Probably a small wait...

6. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend Alchemy! Two of their owner/founders worked for years building their craft under Les Baer and now have their own business! Wait time is okay! They rescued a thunder ranch special for me that was a mess! It is now my go to carry gun! Want to talk accurate?! Tom Rhoads

7. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I hear the exact same thing about Alchemy. Top notch.

8. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Bar-Sto Precision Machine, 29 Palms California. I personnally know Irv Stone and he has been making barrels and fitting them for over 40 years. Makes barrels for the military etc. I can't tell you the exact number of times that one of his barrels (guns) has won the Bianchi Cup, but it has been many. Good company good service and good products.

Chuck

9. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Bar-Sto is no longer in California. He moved out of the
    communist state a few years ago and is now in South Dakota.
    Try Novak's .45 Shop in West Virginia.

10. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I would suggest Dave Severns of SevernsCustom.com. He has done a few guns for me with bullseye accuracy being the goal. Dave is also a moderator at the 1911 forum in the Dan Wesson sub forum. Dave often does "shoot offs" where he essentially compares various makes of 1911s by taking them apart, showing plusses and minuses and then submitting the guns to a Ransom Rest shoot off for accuracy.

One of my 1911 Dan Wesson Valors recently won a shoot off. Dave did a Barstow match barrel, trigger job and overall action tune. He is a good guy and has a great following.

Art

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Unless you plan to spend a lot of money, your Colt will never be one of the three you mention. When you are done it won't be worth what you have in it.

12. DronE

DronE TS Member

Another vote for Alchemy Custom Weaponry. I stopped in on a Saturday and they had mine fixed up in about an hour. The price wasn't bad either.

13. kenf

kenf Active Member

For those in the know, what is the typical cost and timeframe to take a factory 1911 and have it slicked up? Would be looking at a new 1991 Colt 1911 to have worked on- if it would actually need it.

14. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Colt quality control is down to unexceptable levels. The ones I have handed (I'm a RO at a large club so I get to handle many)are junk. They rattle, slide to frame fit is atrocious, etc.

I'm doing a trigger job for a friend on a $400 RIA and the frame to slide fit is way better than Colt.

Right now there are much better choices than Colt for a stock or built up 1911.

15. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Tried to get Ross to work on a 1911 for me and could not get it to work out. Have a few emails back and forth and then nothing, no contact. I am ok waiting for a job to complete, but I am not OK when guys don't communicate and I have no idea of what's going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dan wesson with barstow fitted barrel