1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1911 GUIDE ROD

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Loyac, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

If the full length guide rod is a better design, why was there the need to come up with the short spring guide? Please elaborate. Thanks. John

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

John, the only change when I had my gun fitted with a guide rod was that it was much more a PITA to disassemble the gun. I'm of the opinion that guide rods of any length are simply a means to move your cash to his wallet. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it....Bob Dodd

3. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

Years ago I bought a Haarts mercury and ball bearing filled full length rod and have not looked back. This rod and some light 185Gr reloads has made for fast follow up shots. It's in a Colt Gold Cup and it is a tack driver, although I do not believe the rod makes it more accurate. I think accuracy in a 1911 is all about the barrel and how it is fitted. JD

4. mt

mt Member

As i understand it, the full length rod minimizes the chance of the recoil spring kinking (i'm not sure how often this happens but it reportedly does), it adds some weight (which some feel helps get the gun back on target) and might include on some derivations a bit of recoil reduction sparing the gun some impact. It does however make it a little bit tougher to take down, though there are rather quick ways to remove the slide (and its contents) described even with the use of a full length rod.

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I had one installed in my Colt 1911 when I got it, I'll agree with Bob as it caused field stripping it to be more difficult.
    My new S&W 1911 came with a full length spring guide and has no affect on tear down, very easy.
    I'm not sure if they are necessary or not, just one of those things you hear about, I'm sure the millions of 1911's used in all the wars never had them.

6. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

You can also get a two-piece guide rod. It seems to help taking the gun apart, though reassembly is still a little difficult with getting the rod to thread properly with stronger recoil springs.
    Mike

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You won't find any performance advantages with a recoil spring guide rod if you are working with a standard length slide and a conventional full power spring. Once you get into light springs or variable springs, compensated guns and/or short slides the guide rod becomes a useful item. Stock gun - forget about it, race gun - probably needs a guide rod.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I installed a Skok-Buf full length guide rod on my Colt stainless Delta Gold Cup (10mm), along with a 24 lb spring. The spring is heavy enough on this model that a full length guide rod prevents binding, and that's especially important with the heavier spring. The Shok Buf itself is a small rubber-like buffer at the end of the guide rod. The slide slams into it. It can prevent frame cracking with hot loads or with most standard (not "lite") 10mm loads.

Yes, disasesembly is made a bit more difficult, but it's really not all that difficult, especially when the proper tool is used.

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Brian, have you found that the shock-buff restricts rearward slide travel enough that the cutout on the slide intended for pushing down the slide-release as the slide travels back, can't function properly? That's been my experience. Make sure your slide-release is being pushed fully down when the slide is at full rearward travel, or you may experience premature slide-lock. Phil E

10. Brian in Oregon

I've never had a problem with my setup.

11. Brian in Oregon

Ikey Starks, quote : "Another brilliant solution to a non-existent problem."<br>
    <br>
    Proof, please?

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Many savvy operators and most knowledgable gunsmiths who work on 1911's, myself included, use and recommend them. They increase the service life of the recoil spring, and smooth up functioning.

For those who may shoot little, and know little about the 1911, keep it stock. If you are going to shoot the pistol a lot, put in the 2 piece guide rod, use the 18 lb spring, become proficient with the gun.

13. Loyac

Loyac Member

This has been very informative. I thank you all. John

14. Brian in Oregon

Please explain how a full length guide rod "messes up" a 1911.

15. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

IMO the full length guide rod is not a better design, has never added any advantage to any of the dozens of .45s I've shot and owned and has proven to be an annoying, useless addition making the gun harder to disassemble and in the case of having a TWO piece rod with threaded sections, the risk that they will loosen and come apart inside the frame is a reality and does happen.

And boy, oh boy when that happens - you're screwed. Good luck getting that gun apart!

I have two .45s that came with full length guide rods, but they're not the .45s I carry or keep on hand for home defense; the guns I trust my life to, I have had the guide rods removed and replaced with the standard recoil spring plug, just like John Moses Browning intended it to be.

Take a look at the Les Baer Premier line of $2,000 to $3,000 1911s guaranteeing
    1" or a half inch at 50 yards - why are there NO guide rods?

16. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

THERE IS NO INCREASE IN ACCURACY AND OR RELIABILITY USING A FULL LENGTH GUIDE ROD IN A 1911, ASSUMING THAT THE BARREL HAS BEEN PROPERLY FITTED TO THE SLIDE.
    RICK ZINO (NRA MASTER)

17. 5screw

5screw TS Member

The real reason to use the full length rod is that they look cool! Also might keep you from blowing your finger off doing that stupid "press check"

Bob

18. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Steve: There's a simple solution to your 2-piece guide rod unscrewing: grind a quarter inch or so off it so the bushing can be turned with the rod in place, then loctite its threads to make it a one-piece full-length guide-rod. This also allows standard field-stripping. Alternatively, after grinding it down to field-stripping length, cut a slot in the end so you can check it with a standard flat screwdriver now and then. Phil E

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

5 Screw,

I too have wondered about the 'press check'. What is so difficult about grabbing the rear of the slide on the serations cut for the purpose and opening the slide a bit to check the chamber. Takes the same number of hands for either. Must be one of those hollyweird things that stuck into people's heads kind of like spinning a DA revolver cylinder real fast then slamming it closed - interesting but moronic.

20. Brian in Oregon

I find that a full length guide rod helps with very heavy springs. I keeps the spring from dragging. I'm running a 24 lb spring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.