1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1911 GrandAmerican Handicap Champion Medal

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jmcginnis, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmcginnis

Jmcginnis TS Member

I have acquired the 1911 Grand American Handicap Champion Medal won by Mr. Harvey Dixon. This was the 12 Annual American Handicap event held in Columbus, OH on June 20-23, 1911. The Interstate Association presented this Champion Medal to Mr. Harvey Dixon after shooting a 99 from the 20 yard line.

I have pictures (front & back) and actual paper work from the event showing all the scores and prize money. This medal is solid gold and has all the engraving on the back. It's in very good shape.

I am willing to let go of this piece at the right price in a bidding format to people who understand and respect this sport.

Please contact me directly if you are interested and I will send you pictures and paperwork from the event.

Regards
    Jason McGinnis
    ja_mcginnis@hotmail.com

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

BUY it. Get it appraised, Donate it to trapshooters hall of fame. Tax write off plus you get in HOF if accepted. You must wait 1 full year after apprasal to get full tax write off before donating.You also get a beautiful letter suitable for framing from trapshooters HOF.

3. Jmcginnis

Jmcginnis TS Member

I'm the current owner of this Medal.

If the Trap Shooters Hall of Fame wants it, they can bid like everyone else.

4. zoom

zoom TS Member

Why don't you just post some photos of it and how much you want for it.I think that if the price is fair someone would buy it and donate to the HOF.

5. Jmcginnis

Jmcginnis TS Member

Apology for the last sentence, didn't mean to come across that way.

Jason McGinnis

6. Jmcginnis

Jmcginnis TS Member

I'm new to the site, I'll get directions on posting the pics tomorrow.

Starting bid is $5,000.00

Jason McGinnis

7. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

SMSNYDER bought that very nice watch from an EBay seller and tried to get what I thought would be a good fair trade for both parties a life membership in the ATA. They would not and just wanted the watch for free. Here they the ATA are getting people to bring back items that there are only one of a kind and they want you to just give it to them without doing something for you. That is greedy. Asking for a lifemembership is nothing to them. I agree with Mcginnis. If they want it then they should pay for it. They don't give any of us a free ride do they?

8. stratos

stratos TS Member

maybe he ought to keep the thing for himself with a attitude like he has I HATE ARRONGANT PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO SENSE OF PRIDE AND ARE GREEDY

9. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

I know one thing. I learned a long time ago, if you want to play you have to pay. Sportalluring

10. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Starting bid $5000?

I think you're dreaming Dude. I don't see ANY bids yet.....

11. Jmcginnis

Jmcginnis TS Member

I have two potential offers so far starting at $5,000.00

Regards,

Jason McGinnis

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gargoyle- First, the Hall of Fame is not part of the ATA. The only way the Hall of Fame could give an ATA life membership would be for the Hall of Fame to buy it from the ATA. And, counter to the last sentence in your post, the Hall of Fame does give us a free ride. I have been pleased to make sizable donations to the Trapshooting Hall of Fame in the past and plan to continue donating to that organization.

Pat Ireland

13. Tracy Boy

Tracy Boy TS Member

Maybe we (TS.com,er's)should go together and buy it and then donate it to the HOF. Each mamber could write-off his/her share of the purchase. Just an idea, problem is, how do we really know the value of the item?? Who could appraise something like that without sales history?? Maybe to complicated, maybe not enough interest of everyone here??? I would be willing to donate if others are interested. However I really didn't care for the attitude of the seller, maybe he would be interested in donating part of the price "for the respect of the sport?"

Don

14. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

As we all know one hand washes the other. The ATA and the HOF does just that and they could work something out. If I had the first Grand Trophy and asked for a life membership I'm sure the HOF could and would get me one.

As for the value of what he has well we all have looked at something and asked ourselves what is it worth to me.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

tomk2- Your approach to the value of the trophy is very sound. Some sort of authentication is also in order.

This thread makes me miss my friend Dick Baldwin. If Dick were alive I believe he would have called me to discuss ways to get this item into the Hall of Fame.

Pat Ireland

16. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Devilsadvocate, if I did business with them they would not know who I was. For that matter you would not know who I was if we met.

17. Jmcginnis

Jmcginnis TS Member

Everyone,

Please understand I have this medal and I want to make it available to the Trap Shooting people that respect & greatly enjoy their shotgun sports.

Yes, this medal should be in the Trap Shooters HOF.

I have been contacted by numerous peoeple via email that are highly interested in this medal. If you are interested and want to contact me via email at ja_mcginnis@hotmail.com and you will get pictures (front & back) as well.

Regards
    Jason McGinnis

18. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Maybe a group purchase of this trophy can be done. With it being donated to the HofF. Pictures would be in order.

19. zoom

zoom TS Member

I didn't read every post to see if this question was asked, are you a trap shooter..???

20. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The HOF in Vandalia and the display of trapshooting memorabilia will be gone one day soon. The museum and display were of interest to people attending the Grand and the building was really just converted ATA space. No plan has been announced to move the display and the cost of replacing the building to house the collection must be more than is available or practical.

The HOF may end-up as a website with a curator and with the collection in storage. This is another consequence of the move from property the ATA owned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.