1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1911 GAH Gold Medal Donation Update

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KennyRay, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Folks, so far we have collected over $3,900. We still have about 20 outstanding pledges that most likely in the mail or ready to be sent out. If all donations have not been received by June 30th, I will make a final attempt to send one last reminder.

Again on behalf of the Trapshooting Hall of Fame may I thank everyone for helping to make possible this wonderful acquisition of the 1911 Grand American Handicap gold medal won by Harvey Dixon, of Oronogo, Missouri.

Kenny Ray Estes
    Interim Museum Director

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Well that is neat, I had no idea that he was from Missouri. That is not even terribly far from me. Got my letter from the HOF last week. Good luck with the remaining collections, I am sure they will all come through. Can't wait till I see it in person. John

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Kenny- I thought my accountant had mailed my pledge several weeks ago, but he did not. I put my check for $500 in the mail yesterday. That will make $4,400 collected. We are getting close.

Pat Ireland

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

This has about got to be the best thing that has come out of ts.com in some time. Nice to see folks pulling together. John

5. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Thank you Pat for your most generous donation. You have been a longtime supporter of the THOF and we truly appreciate your continuing aid.

John, it is my hope to give folks a look at some of Mr. Dixon's achievements in addition to being crowned Grand American Handicap Champion. I believe you are absolutely correct. This is a wonderful effort by those who appreciate trapshooting history and made possible because of TS.Com, David its manager and of course, its great members. I can assure you that TS.Com too will receive the recognition it most aptly deserves.

Kenny Ray

6. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Hope to get to see the medal at the 07 Grand and talk with Kenny Ray & Pat.
    Nice to see constuctive rewards from this web site.
    If that young lady from H.O.F. wants to save money, anything being forwarded to me can be picked up in Illinois come August.

Yours Truly

Joe Woods/Ontario

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

8. zoom

zoom TS Member

Kenny Ray, I recived my letter from the HOF a few days back. It was good speaking with you at the Northern Zone too. Hope to see you and some of the other guys and gals that gave so freely at the Grand.

Bill C.

9. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be great if the Hall of Fame set up a "temporary" display at Sparta during the Grand and it included this new addition????????????? I would even volunteer to help set up and staff the area.....

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

trapwife- Excellent idea but transporting a few artifacts to Sparta and then back to Vandalia might be a problem. An attractive and secure display case might be another complication.

Pat Ireland

11. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I could guard them at night. I have experience lol. John

12. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

trapwife - yes, it would be a great idea for the THOF to set up a temporary display at the Grand. Several months ago I kicked this idea around as I think we need more than the fold out display with pictures of past shooters that was used last year. Your offer to volunteer is greatly appreciated and perhaps we will be able to do a small display.

Our plan is to have the 1911 Harvey Dixon Medal on display during Grand week. About 5 months ago I was able to convince a lady who lives about 40 miles from Sparta to visit the Grand and bring her 1890 William T. Hill live bird trap for all to see. I have asked her to consider a price for the trap and hope to gather donations so that it too may be acquired for our museum. Sure hope she shows up as I really want to see this amazing trap.

I will see if I can coordinate the set up of a few items that may interest folks but please realize that I truly fear removing precious artifacts from the museum. I especially wanted to display a glass ball & trap and early clay target & trap but I remain extremely reluctant due to the possibility of damage and theft. I would also want the approval from our Trustees. I may bring my personal Atlantic Ammunition Co. "Blue Rock Trap" circa 1887 out and we usually have a few collectors who in the past have voluntarily displayed their personal artifacts (in the office area) when the Grand was in Vandalia. So, I do believe we will have a few things for show & tell.

If I am asked to stay on as Museum Director, I promise that I will work hard on a wonderful display for the 2008 Grand.

Regarding the 1911 GAH Medal: We still have several pledges that have not been received as yet. In the near future I will do one last email asking each person to advise me if they still care to make a donation. I am unsure if my last email reached the following pledges: Dave (PA101_guy), Tracy Boy and Bawana so please inform me as to your intentions when you can.

Thanks again to all who have sent donations toward the purchase of the Dixon Medal.

Kenny Ray Estes

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

14. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Hi Kenny Ray,

I sent in the pledge I promised and have recieved my thank you letter from the HOF. Much thanks to the HOF for preserving our history.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

15. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

I would think Sparta would be willing to put some of the HOF items in the CEB building....it has several rooms I think were not used last year?? Just set up a traveling exhibit for now......can't wait to see them. Many attend Sparta that were never able to go to Ohio. Should be a real treat for them. We were blessed to get to go to Vandalia for the final Grand there and got to go thru the museum at that time. If they are definately going to put a traveling museum together, they should post it on the ATA website so that we could get the word out.

Lorna

16. smsnyder

tracy boy, dig deep, your buddy earl

17. smsnyder

i talked to tracy boy. his pledge will be in the mail today.

18. Tracy Boy

Tracy Boy TS Member

Thanks to Foggy and Earl for sending me an email, my check was mailed this morning. Have been out of town and out of touch.

Great cause and happy to be a part of it!

Don (Tracy Boy) Williams

19. smsnyder

were do we stand?

20. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Folks, we're getting close to the goal. We just had a few days when no donations came into the office but as of today I believe Tami said we were over $4,800.

We still have about 14 people who have not responded to my last email yet. These pledges come to about $700. Perhaps many are in the mail already. As I stated, I will do one last email to them to see if they are still in a position to make a donation. We want everyone to have an opportunity to donate but shortly we need to complete the process.

So, anyone unable to fulfill their pledge, please advise us ASAP and thank you for trying. We understand that things change. You can call Tami Daniel at the museum 937-898-4638 Ext. 528 or email her at tdaniel@shootata.com. You can always contact me at the above email.

Thank you to those who have offered to add to their donation but I don't think we will need to ask you for more. (Sure hope not anyway)

I will provide an update early next week. Have a wonderful weekend. I'm going shooting.

Thanks again everyone,

Kenny Ray Estes,
    Trapshooting Hall of Fame

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.