1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1911 for Carry????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lyndon Shumaker, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyndon Shumaker

Lyndon Shumaker Member

Could I please have some opinions on the different 1911 models??? Wilson, Les Baer, Kimber etc??????

Which is the best for reliability??? durability?????

thanks

LS

2. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It's hardly a fair comparison, a Wilson or Baer vs a Kimber. These 3 are all durable and reliable but vary a lot in price and the material their made of. Just remember a carry gun is to save your life, nothing more. Leave the toys at home and put your money into 1000% reliability. That's why you hear buy a Glock, cuz they always work. I carry a 1911, but I grew up with one. If your gonna carry anything, especially a 1911 .......shoot it till your sick of it, before you bet your life on it.

3. cnsane

cnsane Member

Get it in stainless and get it with a short slide. And in .45 caliber. And with tritium sights so it isn't useless for at least six hours out of each and every day. An annoying set of responsibilities come with having a piece on you every day in and day out. And as been said, forget the bells and whistles if this is going to be a tool instead of a toy.

4. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I carried a 1911 for many years. I had several of them and shot IPSC a bunch for about 10 years. I found no gun that was as good as my Baer. Mine was made when he was still in Allentown, Pa working out of his basement.

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I'd cast my vote for Wilson simply because of my experience. Back in the day, I shot a 45 Wilson accucomp in competition, shooting probably 600-700 rounds a week in practice. Malfunctions were rare.

Moved up to a L/E 38 Super for ten or so years and wore out a barrel which Wilson replaced free. The shroud had cracked and they also upgraded it to a DP comp at the same time. Tens of thousands of rounds and I had one malfunction! Turned out the case was a bit too long. Bill personally built my first guns and then his top guy Phillips (?) did the Super.

Have long since moved to an STI 9mm as is necessary in Open for the extra capacity but still have a gun smithed by Wilson for carry. Its a Delta Elite and it never malfunctions either although it has not been shot anywhere near the volume of my match guns. I've had great guns built by Swenson, Pachmayr, Steve Nastoff and some not-so-great ones built by unnamed smiths but Wilson's guns have been virtually flawless.

6. rocko

rocko Member

Of the three Baer is the best followed by Wilson and Kimber. If you are going to carry a 1911 you must be very familiar with them as they can be troublesome. The USGI Colt is reliable but not very accurate. When the 1911 is "tightend up" for accuracy it looses reliability. I have 9 1911's, the 1911 is my favorite pistol but I carry a revolver.

7. oz

oz Active Member

I asked my friend (and custom gunsmith) about just this question. He stated get a springfield armory. I did so and I like it. got it loaded (with all the bells and whistles). accurate, works 100% and is stainless steel. what more could you want. oz

8. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

The 1911 is a wonderful defensive weapon, and can be a great carry piece as well. I carried a full size 1911 for many years in the service so had lots of experience with it. Now I carry a Colt Defender (3 inch bbl) as a conceal carry pistol. It does take a bit of experience to rely on a 1911, and you must completely understand the ins and outs of "cocked and locked" Any of the quality 1911s from Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory, etc, as well as the custom guns from Wison, Bauer, etc can be a good carry gun. Depends on what price you want to pay, bells and whistles, and so forth. Most of the bells and whistles are not needed in a carry gun however. Just absolute dead reliability. And "minute of bad guy" is good enough in the accuracy department. So whatever you get, practice, practice, practice after thorough break-in and testing with your chosen defense ammo.

Jim R

9. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

The 1911 is an OUTSTANDING Weapon for self defense....BUT it is a large pistol, not many can really master it.
    I carrie a Cold Commander w/aluminum alloy frame, This weapon is about an inch shorter then the standard 1911, and about a pound lighter w/full mag.
    In the Mag. I use SPEER 168gr. Hollow point rounds...One hit...One Body.
    Good Luck.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I am a thin guy 170lbs, carried a 1911 for the first 5 years of my carry life.

It was heavy and a bit tough to conceal. I had a S&W 1911. Here in mass the only way to get a kimber,bear,colt is to buy one used or was registered instate before the BS bans of 1998

I have since moved onto a S&W 4013TSW 40.cal DA/SA which suited me al lot better. smaller,lighter, night sights and the grip size is just right. Perfect for MOBG. Also this gun just eats,chews,and spits out everything I put into and even cycles with a very weak hold. I found my 1911 to sometimes have issues with a weak wristed grip........ I love my 1911s
    S&W 1911 bas model with laser grips- I find this fine to carry with a nice hip holster when concealment is not an issue. S&W 1911 performance center model, the trigger pull on that is silly light not well for carry.

11. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I have been carrying my Kimber Compact Custom fo 8 years, I have it loaded with 185 gr Hollow Points and I carry 2 extra magazines. My advice is to bite the bullet and get a good steel frame gun. If the need arises to whack some jerk in the head with it, it won't break. Do it once and do it right.
    Woody Sullivan

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I carry a Glock all the time, never had an issue with it nor have any of my friends who carry Glocks also ... I do not want to have to think about the possibilty of needing it and it not working when seconds count and the Police are only minutes away ... Whats with the 1911 Model when it comes down to life and or death and reliability ..? Buy a 1911 for practice and a Glock for when it matters most ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Before I knew what I know now.. Ross Carter built my carry gun.. A P-12 alloy frame on a Commander slide..45 acp.. Combo sights (tritium/fiber optic) for any light condition.. Light weight,powerful,and never misses a lick.. I've got about 1500 rounds thru it..NEVER any kind of failure.. I stake my life on it..

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I carry a 3" Kimber ultra CDP in a TT custom holster for jacket or sweatshirt weather. I use a Milt Sparks for summer wear.

I really liked the factory grips but the deep checkering was very sharp against the skin so I went with the slimmer, smooth Abonyia wood from Esmaraldo.

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Pics of the 1911
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

With Holster.

[​IMG]

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you are wanting to carry a 1911, you must KNOW the pistols' design AND function. It is unique, and in a life or death situation, is very unforgiving if the operator is not intimately familiar with it. Neglecting the pistol can get you killed.

Most folks will not take the time and effort to master their carry arm. For that reason, I suggest that the average Armed Citizen carry a revolver.

For one determined to carry an auto, and who WILL train with it, including performing regular stoppage reduction drills, I suggest a Glock. If the Glock DOES stop, it is much quicker to get the gun back in the fight. Typically, it takes bad ammo, neglected upkeep or bad shooting techniques to stop the Glock.

Although I have shot over a million rounds through 1911's in competition, I do not own one, will no longer carry one, and do not recommend them for carry.

After a full generation in the Gun Culture, I have simplified my carry needs to the humble Glock. The G-36 is petite, powerful, as easy to shoot as a revolver, and works when you practice with it and feed it decent ammo.

With that said, if you MUST try out the 1911, get a simple model that is built to WORK, not punch holes in targets. Bells and whistles are for toys, keep the tools simple.

A basic Springfield Armory is affordable, and exceptionally reliable. OTOH, no one has said anything about the Glock, except that it ALWAYS FREAKING WORKS.

18. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

lets see:

I have the following all that are/were carried at one poing

colt defender 3"
    wilson combat cbq 4"
    kimber custom 5"

all are great guns the wilson by far is my favorite, the kimber is large at a 5" gun for carry. its all up to what you want.

i wouldnt rule out the glocks tho as if you feel the need you can carry more ammo.

19. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I bought a Para Ordnance Slim Hawg for CCW. This was after a lot of research on the size of such guns. The SH is about the size of the Kimber above, but with a little slimmer frame and slide.

I don't have enough rounds through this gun to be sure I can perform under pressure. I have spent a lot of time with the gun in my hands, and being drawn from the holster, and I can instinctively take the safety off. I also know by feel where the slide stop is, so I can release the slide on a new magazine.

However, I often carry a .38 revolver or a P3AT. The Hawg is still a big gun to conceal, for me.

Danny

20. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I have carried a 1911 - officers model is a better hideout gun. I also agree with people who pointed out the fact that when tightened up for accuracy, the reliability of the 1911 goes down.

for any number of reasons, both real and imagined, I would carry a revolver. And my Ruger LCR with laser grip sights is a great carry gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.