1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1911 differences

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trpshtr2001, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a series 70 and a series 80 1911 is ? I am going to buy one but my knowledge of the 1911 is about the same as my knowledge of flying an airplane.

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The series 80 added a firing pin block. The block is deactivated when the trigger is pressed. I believe this is the only difference.

Jim Skeel

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The main design difference is that series 80 guns have a firing pin block that works with the trigger. This feature usually makes the trigger pull a bit rougher than desired. Series 70 guns generally tend to be fitted and finished better as well so they demand higher prices on the used gun market. These statements apply to Colt pistols only.

If you are in the 1911 market, there are a lot of other makers besides Colt and most of them are making guns of better quality. Just like with trap guns, the sky is pretty much the limit on what is available, perhaps if you think up a budget number we could steer you towards a few 1911's worth looking at.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

As stated, 70 series guns are made better, as far as I see.

I have a 70 Combat, very nice. My friend's 80 series gold cup is not to nice, and he can't hit a bull in the ass with it.

Buy a 70 if you can find one. If you want to buy a clone try to find a DWA, about the same money and nicer.

And then there's Kimber..........

HM

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Kimber, Baer, and a bunch of others in the US make fine 1911's. The previous writers are correct in their description of the differences. I have a series 80 in 38 super which has a pretty good (not match grade) trigger. If you can see it clear to do so, you might want to look at the Taurus PT1911. It has many of the upgrades already built in and has a street price of around 500-600 bucks. To do all that it already has to a stock milspec you'd spend 1500 or more. They shoot pretty darn good. Otherwise, as the guys said, prices begin at somewhere around 400 and go well into four digits for the really good, fancied up stuff. My brother has a Kimber match that he bought new a few years back for around $1200 and shoots with the best of them.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'll second the Taurus recommendation. I bought my son a PT1911 in stainless steel for his birthday in October at a gun show for $600 and liked it so much that I bought one for myself two weeks later from the same dealer. They come with a lot of the stuff you'd add anyway - decent sights, ambidextrous safety, skeletonized trigger and hammer and some other goodies - and shoot pretty well.

They may not be the "best" 1911 out there but they are a lot of gun for the money. We both spent $50 having the "liability" triggers smoothed and lightened to 3.5 pounds but that's about all they need to be good shooters.

Ed

7. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I really like the Springfield Armory model PX9151LP gun. I was leaning toward it as an alternative to a Colt. What do you think ?

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I had a Colt 1911 series 80, had some work done on it but never really ended up liking it or it's accuracy. Traded it off for a SS S&W 1911. My Smith is head and shoulders above the Colt. I'm a lefty and the Smith came with ambi safety along with adjustable sights and nicer grips plus it just feels and shoots better. It's well made and works flawlessly.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The Springfield you mentioned is a better buy than anything offered by Colt these days. What are you looking for Trapshooter? Something for CCW or recreational shooting or ....?

Take a look at the SIG line. They have all kinds of well made autoloaders including a 1911 platform. Very good values with all their guns. The S&W 1911 mentioned above is getting alot of good reviews also, none of these pistols are exactly low cost. :)

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I bought a S&W 1911 performance center model for 1350.00 new. Very nice gun. Smooth action shot anything I put into it. Only on a very limp wristed shot would you ever get a failure to eject/feed issue. I traded it for my current XT trap gun. Secound thoughts on that trade! Love my XT but miss the PC 1911. Trigger was very good. Not a good carry gun way to light of a trigger.

11. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Thanks guys for all your input. It has helped me a lot. I will have a look at the others mentiooned before I do anything. I never thought about a Smith or Sig, but will definately look at them too.
    Its always nice to hear from someone who has had first hand experiemces with something rather than someone pretending to be an authority on something from hearsay.
    Thanks guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.