1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1911 Colt Series 70

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by OldPshtr, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Who has a Series 70 Colt in excellent condition for sale - Reasonable?

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

They haven't been reasonable since 1971, when my wife bought me mine, new, for $150.

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

excellent and reasonable in the same breath.. Impossible. hehehehe Just joking.Where are you located?

4. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Why are you set on a Series 70?

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have your gun; Series 70 Gov't model, Commander hammer, custom trigger, King sights, original barrel but very tight lockup, lowered ejection port, "feed and function" done by skilled smith, non-glare dark finish, beveled magazine port, wrap around Pachmyer grip + originals. Gun kept in stock shape for concealed carry but performed quite well in defensive action pistol competition. You tell me what's "reasonable" since I don't have it for sale but offers would be considered. Gun's in Oregon and I doubt I'd hand it over to the likes of UPS.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

6. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Located in TX. Prefer Model 70. Not interested in customized but
    thanks for the reply.

Doyal

7. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

i am around lubbock. Set on a 70? would an 80 work also? I like both. But willing to learn if there is something i should know about.

Thanks

8. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

I also have 80 that I like.

Doyal

9. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

The 70 is sought after because it doesn't have a trigger block, which makes achieving a lighter, crisper trigger pull possible.

For carrying, I'd want an 80 series, but the competition guys like the 70's.

A National Match 70 series should go around $1,000 with the A1 version slighlty lower, $800 or so.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The series 70 was the last without a device that prevents the hammer from reaching the firing pin without the trigger being depressed. That extra safety device is on the stock 80s and is considered, by many, to hamper the tuning of a fine trigger. I've felt some series 80 triggers that were totally miserable but then mine is especially crisp. The only rationale for this safety device is having a sear become defective permitting the hammer to fall without trigger action or dropping the gun and having it land on the hammer and breaking the sear.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Easy to take the '80 parts out and then you essentially have a Series '70. One of my match 38 supers was built on a '80 by Bill Wilson.

12. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

It is very possible to have a great trigger with the 80 series parts intact, you just have to know what you're doing. Not to say that without the extra parts you can't do better.

13. KK

KK TS Member

Bob, I'm interested in you 1911 too and I am in Roseburg. Please e-mail me and give me an idea about what you are thinking for a price. Thanks. Kirby Kelley

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hi Sir Kirby, I really hadn't thunk it out or considered selling. I posted it just to see if Doyal was near and anxious since I wouldn't mind seeing it used more than my ailing arm can consider. Why don't you consider dropping by the club in Creswell on Sunday and I'll at least let you admire and we can think about it......Bob Dodd

15. KK

KK TS Member

Bob, I'll try hard to get up there, we are shooting down here this weekend too but I think I can miss that and come up. I haven't seen the club since the new Skeet field and Sporting Clays were added. Heard lots of good things about the club. I'll let you know for sure tomorrow if that's OK. What time are you planning to go down? It's supposed to be a cold one Sunday morning! Kirby

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Kirby, I usually appear somewhere around 10AM. No need to alert me if you are or are not coming cuz I'll be there anyway and packing the heater isn't unusual for me. Even if cold, I'll be there to make sure the fireplace is doing it's job. If you see a very dark blue '01 F250 Power Stroke, I'm nearby. Could be at the skeet fields or at the club house. We've just poured 4 new shooting pads as well as the things you mention. The club's clearly looking to the future. I'm nearly as far from Creswell as you are so it's really not a big deal to meet in the middle......Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.