1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1911 Colt Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Marcf, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcf

Marcf TS Member

Try a quality magazine, I've had good luck with tripp, wilson etc. A good magazine usually solves lockback problems.

2. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Take the top end (slide & barrel) off the gun. Put the slide stop back in. Insert the MAGAZINE into the gun and see if the follower in the magazine contacts the slide stop and pushes it upward. Look at both the magazine that worked correctly and the mags that failed to push the slide stop up. What is the difference you see. Take the recoil spring out of the gun and put the top end back on with the slide stop in. Push the slide back until it stops. Now insert the mags again and see if the magazine follower pushes up the slide stop. Did it? Not all mags and followers are created equal.

Pat

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Take the slide off. Watch the inside of the slide stop as you
    insert the empty magazine. The magazine follower should pick up and raise
    the slide stop. If it doesn't, it could be caused by the magazine
    follower being chipped or broken , a possible weak magazine spring
    or worn or broken slide stop.

4. m12superx1

m12superx1 Member

Same as my problem. It's the clip most likely. Grab a good quality Colt or even a good surplus clip and it could be a good start and a cheap fix.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Chip McCormick magazines..never a problem, when you don't need problems...

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

BigM,

Does Chip make "clips" too or just "magazines"?

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Some magazines dont lock the slide back -

Just use the magazines that you know that do

Its like that with feeding also

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Heavy odds your problem is in the magazine.Invest in a couple of quality ones and your problem should be solved.McCormick,Wilson,ACT-Mag all are first rate.

9. TEXASBEN

TEXASBEN Member

Hello, Have shoot a lot of USPSA and IDPA matches, best mags are the Wilson Premier, they cost but work every time, all mags will need a little maintance and tuning over time.

Ben D.
    TexasBen

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

if the gun is of recent manufacture and not shot out, clean and lubed, you're not shooting a wimp load, you're not limp wristing it and you haven't dremeled anything or ported anything or increased the weight of the recoil spring or added a buffer: i agree. it's probably just a bad mag spring. they don't last forever

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Another vote for the Wilson Combat 8-shot mags (you didn't say it, but we assume you're shooting a .45). It's amazing the difference quality makes in something as seemingly simple as a magazine.

Once you've tried them, I guarantee you'll toss your original Colt mags in the back of your shooting bag and never use them again.

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

The old nomenclature heads up re. "clip" vs. "magazine"...keeps the pundits busy!

13. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

A Garand uses a clip, a 1911 uses a magazine. Those old mags are still ok to use as range mags. Just as is the case with everything else, you will get what you pay for. I have a commander and use wilson and taurus 8 round mags and they work great. If it has not been messed with, there are very few things on a 1911 that will mess up. It is almost always the magazine. John

14. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

It's a magazine, damn it. It may be faulty which is the easiest fix. Other people have suggested good magazines.

What has not been suggested is that the recoil spring may be too stiff. If the new mags don't do the trick and you're shooting reloads often the slide isn't going back far enough to engage the magazine catch.

The shorter the slide the more critical this seems to be. Also proper shooting technique is important. Keep you wrist locked up with each shot.

15. NSK

NSK TS Member

I am 1911 gunsmith. It sounds like the problem is in the slide-stop. Not the follower of the magazine, although the follower is involved. Just for your information, Colt never made magazines, even thoh they had the name Colt & logo on the base of the magazine.
    The slide-stop is a fitted part, not a drop-in.

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"Chip McCormick magazines..never a problem, when you don't need problems..."

+1 on this piece of advice.

Buy a McCormick Power Mag off of Midway. If you're lucky, they'll be on sale and you can pick up a couple. You should have at least three and perhaps more (I always like to have 5 of each). They don't have a "jazzy" follower like some of the others, but they work, and work well. Click on link above. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

P.S. If you don't have the cash, I guess you could try stretching the spring in your current magazine. It should help for a while anyway.

17. joee12

joee12 Member

I think it's the slide stop also, Joe

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If the problem is the slide stop can it be fixed by proper/better fitting? Or would it have to be replaced?

John C. Saubak

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is fairly common to break the lug off the slide stop and/or the bearing surfaces on the slide stop shaft might be rough. A new slide stop is a cheap fix and you should have a spare on hand any way.

You should also have a a few spare magazines. I like Wilson 8 round magazines - not the cheapest but they provide excellent service.

You can find all this stuff at MidwayUSA and many other vendors. Not rare or difficult to find.

Another good idea is to replace the recoil spring - a stock 17 lb spring is versatile and will help the reliablitiy of you piece.

20. redhawk

redhawk Member

For what its worth,Wilson sells its "service" mags direct from there website for only $19.95.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.