1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1911 - Better of Two

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dixlab, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixlab

dixlab TS Member

I got a new Dillon Reloader for Christmas. I have loaded 300 45 ACP bullets. Now I need to get a gun. I am looking at a Para Ordance model Pxt 1911 SSP and a Sig Sauer model 196S0022. Both are Stainless Steel. I would appreciate any information that someone has on this.
    Thank You
    Ray

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

You pays your money you takes your choice. Both are fine. I'd imagine, from past experience that the sig will be a little finer machined. I'd go to my local dealer and see which feels better in my hand...double stacks seem unnaturally large in the big 45.

3. emm2

emm2 Member

If I was getting one of the 2 I would buy the Sig. I do not like the trigger on the Para.

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have Sig 220 and my bud has a Colt 1911 . I love the Colt I shoot about 25% of his shells because his Colt will not ?

ALF

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Kimber and Sig are known for the best actions and accuracy. I'm looking for a 5" 9mm or 40 target right now. I have a Kimber Pro Carry II. Best 45 I've owned.

6. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I second the motion on the Kimber Pro Carry 11. I have nice Dan Wesson Pointman blued steel and the Kimber outshoots it and the Dan Wesson is no slouch. Bill

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Well, reality has to set in somewhere. I would love an 1800 dollar Les Baer Custom, and I would really like an 1100 dollar Kimber, but my 700 dollar Colt is all I could have when I bought it.

And I like it just fine. (I would sell it, a Series 70 Combat, for $775 if anyone wnats it, then I can move up to a Kimber.)

8. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

I have two colt 1911 and one Springfield 1911-A1. Friend has Para
    Super Hawg. My colts or Springfield will shoot just about any round
    offered. His Para one picky Hawg. As already mentioned, I sure wouldn.t
    load additional rounds until select firearm and try the loads - may need
    some tweeking to work in what U select.
    Had to have trigger smoothed on Para - about 8 lbs from factory so U
    might plan on a trigger overhaul if select a Para.

Doyal

9. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

get rid of that 1911 dark age stuff and get a 5.7n and do some real damage.

10. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

believe it or not you would be foolish if you dont look at the taurus 1911,with all the extras they put into it for $500 you cant beat it,love the one i have and untill jan 20 they are offering a $75 rebate,mark

11. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE: I was just mixing the pot on a Friday night. You didn't have to hurt my feelings. I dont work for Herstal, and what ammo isn't expensive? I don't agree with your sales data. They are actually a very good seller along with the 90 rifle. In Europe it is the choice of swat teams. Although I haven't had the pleasure of plugging a home intruder with it yet, it should be a good home security choice because unlike the .45 it wont go through 5 walls and possibly kill or injure a family member. That stopping power argument always makes me smile. It really doesn't matter what your shooting they all hurt, and if you dont' agree, take a couple of 5.7x28mm rounds in the chest and see if it doesn't get the job done; and with a 20 round mag I will stop whatever.
    Happy New Year everybody!!!!!

12. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Some of you are serious about this pistol stuff. I got away from it for 12 years. At that time it took some major bling to build up a great shooter. Now you can get a number of guns that do it out of the factory. I was tempted to do the 38 Super in a Colt but I hear they are fickel. True? Should I stay with a 9mm for accurate hole punching?

13. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Hi Ray,

I'm not familiar with those exact models of Para and Sig, but if you know how to shoot them I would guess either could easily do around 2 - 3" (or better, depending on ammo) at 25 yards, they both manufacture very fine guns. The vast majority of Combat Pistol shooters (go to USPSA.ORG for more info) use 1911's. STI and SV are very popular. Para's (and others) offer high cap models. At first, they may seem a little big, but once you put a few hundred rounds through them, (about 1 practice session if you reload), (and I suggest if you can, to shoot outdoors) you will probably really get to like them. If you do like 1911's, and want to try some real fun, with people who I think are very friendly, try a combat pistol match. You will make a lot of new friends.

I just reread your post and noticed the Para is a 1911, and I don't know if the Sig is. Just a bit of info: the 1911 comes apart by removeing the grips, the safety, 2 pins, and the few remaining parts (maybe 6?) they just fall out, and are easy to put back in. I had a Sig 226 and there was no way I'd start fooling with the half dozen little springs and numerous small levers and parts. Also 1911 are VERY easy to clean. Burn some powder, and have some fun!

14. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

My match barrel (45 acp) on my 1911 clone is sensitive to taper of the reload. If the shell taper is not .473" (measured at the case mouth) or under, the gun will not completely seat the cartridge. If, once you buy the gun of your choice, and this happens, you'll need to re-taper the shell. A friend of mine had this issue and he shoots a Clock 45 acp. This, I have found, depends on the individual gun since the chambers will vary from gun to gun. Darrell

15. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Dove C.

I have a Colt series 80 in 38 Super that has digested everything I've put through it from 90 grain shorty slugs to 150 grain 357 lead swchps. It is the only Colt semiauto I have. Got rid of the others and have a much modified Norinco and a Taurus, both 1911s that are also quite reliable.

I'd really rather have my brother's Kimber but they are all equal in reliability.

Put one shot where it needs to be and you don't need a 20 round magazine of little .25s.

16. dixlab

dixlab TS Member

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. Actually, I have a couple of 1911 Colts that I like. But I think you should try to buy at least one new gun and knife each year if possible. And besides, these are a whole lot cheaper than a good shotgun!
    Thank You Again
    Ray

17. Loyac

Loyac Member

Now here is a .45 that shoots straight! John

18. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Springfield Armory XD Series are awfully nice!

Matt

19. cls

cls Member

I'm a Kimber fan myself...

cls

20. shadow

shadow Active Member

Springfield and Sigs are my favorites. Kimber makes some pistols that are really pretty,except,when you are putting them back in the box to return them to the factory for their cruddy warranty work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.