1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1911 .45 Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike K P, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I recently bought a Kimber 1911 .45, I'm not ral experienced with them and am having a problem. When I pull the slide back (with plenty of force) it doesn't always want to stay locked back. This happens with or without a clip in. Sometimes with a loaded clip it will stay back and sometimes it will chamber the round and close. At the risk of embarassing myself is this a problem or something I'm doing wrong? It's a full size stainless that I bought brand new and I've only put about 100 rounds through it. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Mike.

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers TS Member

Generally
    It should lock open after the last round, or an empty clip.
    If I does not, it is usually an issue with the clip.
    It won’t lock open without a clip in. (unless you thumb the catch)
    It should chamber the round and not lock open if there is any the clip.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Never and I repeat NEVER try and lock the slide back with a loaded magazine in the gun. Always remove the magazine and pull the slide to rear while pushing up on the slide stop ... never fart around trying to do this with a loaded magazine inserted in the gun. If you screw up and load a chamber you just might accidentally shoot yourself or somebody else while farting around trying to hold the slide back.

The slide should always stay to the rear when an empty magazine is inserted and should stay to the rear when the magazine is dropped until the time that you manually release the slide.

The slide will not stay to the rear when there is not an empty magazine inserted in the gun unless you manually push the slide release in the upward position to lock the slide to the rear.

Ya know just a little thought ... you purchased this gun NEW so I am sure it came with a manual and that all this information is in the manual. Have you read the manual yet? It sounds like you have not so I might suggest you read it and read it now before you have other problems that might cause some serious bodily harm to you or to some other shooter.

or you could just go back to the store you purchased it from and ask them how to explain the very basic functions and operations of your gun.

4. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

With much experience with this weapon, I'll second both Fred and Lumper. Jerry Kuhnhausen's book is one of the very best and is inexpensive. You will learn everything there is to know about the 1911A1 with it, including how to accurize it. Most importantly though, you will gain a thorough knowledge regarding its safety systems and how they are supposed to work.

Mike

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take the unloaded gun and place on table with slide latch down. Take some Remoil or other thin oil with teflon and place a couple drops of oil on the end of the slide latch, that's the little round knob that's sticking out through the frame just above the trigger. Let it penetrate for a few minutes and then work the latch up and down a few times with your thumb. You should see some lube come out on the latch side of the frame. If you don't see any oil come through repeat the above until you do.

Now insert an empty magazine in the gun and pull the slide back. The slide should lock open. If it does your job is done and the problem should be solved. If it does not lock open, let me know and we can proceed to step two. HMB

6. Questor

Questor TS Member

Mike K P:

I shoot 1911 more than anything else. With all due respect, I think it is something you are doing. Help me understand what you are doing:

Are you pulling the slide back, and then lifting the lever on the left side so that it locks fully into the squared recess made for it on the slide?

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

On a new 1911 that is built with accuracy in mind, the slide stop will tend to have minimal clearances with the holes in the frame and the barrel link. You can improve reliablity by polishing these surfaces with 000 steel wool and keeping them lubricated. You will know that your polishing job is satifactory when the slide lock will drop freely out of the notch in the slide as you retract the slide from the locked open position with no magazine in the gun.

The forward edge of the magazine follower is what activates the slide lock and that normally only happens when the slide is retracted over an empty magazine.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

1st problem that everyone seems to be ignoring is ... as he has told us all he is an inexperienced shooter with a 1911 and just by what he is describing as his problems is he is also an overall inexperienced shooter with probably all semi auto pistols as well.

He must first learn the basic operations and functions of his gun ... this will cure his current problems.

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Mike: Don't be embarrassed, it's a fair question. I'd say, first simply take it back (unloaded, in the box) to the store where you bought it, show it to the clerk, explain, and see what he says. Tell him you're a neophite. He should be able to check it out for you and tell you if it's working right, and also explain its functions. You've got a mighty fine pistol there, hopefully you'll get a lifetime of enjoyment out of it. Phil E

10. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Thanks for all the help you guys. Even after reading the manual I had a feeling it was me and not the gun. Sometimes having it explained differently helps. I've got the hang of it now. I knew I could count on some friendly advice. Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.