1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1911 38/45 Super update..

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The .996 38/45 is moving along.. The chamber reamer is in.. and brass was being formed out of 45 Win Mag brass.. There was a many,multi step process forming the brass.. A call to Starline yielded some 40 Super brass that after easily necking to 9mm yielded .991 before fireforming.. Close enough.. Looks good in the magazine.. My winter project.. I'll post a few pictures tonight..

2. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Would your project be akin to my .41 Avenger? .45ACP necked down to .41.

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. yes.. and no.. I'll be working in the 35,000psi range.. You can't do that with regular 45 ACP brass.. and the case is .100 longer.... and the new case uses small pistol or rifle primers..to help prevent primer flow.. BUT.. the slide is the same.. and the concept is the same.. If you changed your brass and a few springs.. your loading data would be much different..

4. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Mike, don't you mean_one_of your winter projects? LOL It will be interesting to see which case works out best, either should be a hot round. Do you have any powders in mind yet to try?

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My first thought is 296... Then Blue Dot..

6. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

PerraziBigBore,

I might have missed some of your earlier posts on this. What is the purpose for this project?

Chichay

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A friend of mine gave me his barrel, brass and info on his 38/45. I have bought a RCBS die set for reloading but have not had time to shoot it.

8. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Mike, those sound like good choices to me. BTW Winchester has a new powder called Autocomp especially made for compensated pistols that is showing some promise from what I hear but I have no experience with it myself yet.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It's winter.. money is tight.. and I need a project.. I'm looking forward to 2000 fps with a 90 grain bullet.. IF I can get there safely.. The reamer will also cut a 38/45 chamber.. I already had the dies and form dies.. So the only real outlay I had was for the Starline brass.. and whatever Comp..I use..

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Ross.. as always.. I'll defer to your knowledge.. I'm thinking the loading data for the 9X25 will give me greater insite... I'm also thinking LONGSHOT??and HS7..
    If all else fails.. I can build a 40 Super.. (I don't have one of those yet).. All Good.. Mike

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Guys.. Hopefully.. this will be the real deal.. Working on a 45 ACP platform..I'm looking for full grown 357 performance in a 6" 1911.. I do advise a ramped barrel for the pressures I'll be working it.. I hope to exceed the 9mm Casull in performance..because of the larger case..

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

With the 41 Avenger.. does it have a ramped barrel to support the case head?? If not..I think I'd stay well under 30,000 psi with 40 Super brass.. Once the case head is supported.. you have more wiggle room.. With 45 ACP brass.. I'd stay under 20,000psi.. Personally.. Starline brass in 400 Corbon would be my first choice followed by trimmed 40 Super or 45 Super brass.. Just a little extra margin of safety.. Now.. if you're just shooting targets.. maybe even lead bullets.. the 45 acp brass will work just fine.. Be sure to use same make.. and if you can.. lot number.. Weighing your clean brass and sorting by weight and flashhole size will help in the quest of the 1 hole group..

On the 38/45 Unique.. 6 grains 148 grain wadcutter.. or 158 Semi wadcutter.. deadly on paper.. A properly fitted 38 Super barrel rechambered with correct barrel bushing..will yield a very nice target shell on a 45 acp platform.. I have a 9 die setup for forming 38/45 from regular 45 brass.. If you need any.. I'll run some for you when I run mine..

All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

40 super chamber reamer

400 corbon reamer