1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1902 Trophy on ebay

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

There is a 1902 trap trophy on ebay item 200786173131.. Its a huge solid silver 37 troy oz vase. Wonder if Hof knows about it? Someone should buy this and donate it or we can all chip in. Beautiful piece

2. smsnyder

Here is a Huge Solid Sterling Silver Antique Triple Handled Ornate Trophy made by Gorham, weighs 37 troy ounces, not weighted. 10 in. across handles x 9 ½ in. high, has early Gorham hallmark and Sterling & A2270, 4 ½ Pint, this was found in the Philadelphia Pa. area and may have been a wealthy Gun Club in the Philly area. Engraved on front The J.H. Carstairs Trophy For Trap Shooting Presented to the Kettle Club March 25th 1902 To Be Contested for Semi Annually, reverse side has engraved Mens name who won the contest from 1902,1903,1904,1905 and 1906, excellent condition with couple of tiny dimples, needs polished, our low opening bid is only the value of the silver content. We are really hoping that we don’t have to scrap this great old antique sterling silver trophy.

3. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

It says if they don't sell it they might scrap it!!

37 oz which is .925 Sterling Silver is 31.192665 oz of .999 fine Silver so gross melt value is 877.45 at todays spot price far from the 999.00 opening bid..
    Doug

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

It sounds like the guy has no idea what he has.

5. smsnyder

It belongs in the HOF. Im sure it will appraise for alot more.

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

This rise in gold and silver is going to distroy so much history(Like this) is a crime. If I had the money I would buy it just to save it. Sorry to say I don't. Hope someone does and can buy it.

If they aren't willing to put up that much money they should or someone should make an offer and see if they would take it. Better to take something then the scrap price.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The Trophy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-ANTIQUE-SOLID-STERLING-SILVER-TRAP-SHOOTING-TROPHY-VASE-37-Troy-oz-/200786173131

8. Dougbbbb

I just talked to her.... She said she paid over spot and someone will have to give her the opening bid of 999.00 to take it.( I'm sure she will have one of her cronys bid this up if someone goes 999.00) Items she does not sell goes to make Silver bars .999 which she sells for 2.00 over spot. Kiss this goodbye if no one bids.

Doug

Here's her response

No, I paid over spot to get it & someone will have to pay my opening bid. I send in all my silver monthly & have assayed & put in 100 troy oz bars. I then resell them for 2.00 an oz over spot as it is 999.99 pure. Thanks anyway.

- bassaroe49
    Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

9. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Looks like J. H. Carchairs had quite a storied history in precious metals.

The Lexington Hill Gold Mining Company is incorporated under the laws of
    the state of Maine. Its capital stock amounts to $3,000,000, each share having a
    par value of $l. One-half of this capital stock, amounting to $1,500,000, was
    placed in the company's treasury, the balance, representing the properties,
    being pooled until such time as the company has a milling equipment of at least
    300 tons daily. This assures investors in this stock that the money derived from
    the sale of treasury stock goes directly into the development and equipment of
    the property.

The officers of the company are: President, Charles E. Whiting, New York;
    vice-president, J. H. Carstairs, Philadelphia; treasurer, Henry F. Wells,
    Boston; assistant treasurer, Herman Bischoff, Deadwood; secretary, Charles E.
    Senna, Boston.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I bought this one on ebay for $100.

Did I get hosed?

-Gary

[​IMG]

11. Dougbbbb

Gary

You got a deal it's still in the plastic wrap...

Doug

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The little white tag says "LEAVE BAG ON TO PREVENT RUST."

-Gary

13. smsnyder

You guys are to funny

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

You are two.

-Gary ;)

15. smsnyder

Ok here is the deal I'll put up the first $100 for this piece of history. I need additional dollar commitment from you guys and gals to secure this trophy for the new HOF. If i raise enough money to cover the cost i will enter each and every one of your name as a donor. Any funds over the purchase price will also be donated to the HOF. It looks like it will Take $999 PLUS $35 to secure trophy. Just e mail me with your name address and phone number for your dollar donation. I won't need the money until im sure i can get the trophy.

16. Tracy Boy

Tracy Boy TS Member

Earl, If I remember we purchased another trophy a few years back and donated it to the HOF. Wonder where it is now??? I was responsible, along with Recurvey to get that donation process started.... Don't feel real comfortable doing it again at this point in time with God knows if any of the HOF items will ever see the light of day again.

17. smsnyder

TracyBoy it also was a very valuable trophy. I believe it resides at the HOF.

18. smsnyder

Read with interest postings regarding The Trapshooting Hall of Fame and Museum. The Board of Trustees voted, confirmed and reaffirmed their decision to relocate the Hall of Fame to accompany the Grand American Tournament...our move was placed on hold until the ATA and the State of Illinois executed their contract extension May 2011.

We are now pursing the building, possible mobile exhibits, etc. The lease on the present structure expires the first of the year (January 2013). The ATA has vacated their portion of the building...we must do the same!!

A year or two ago the Hall of Fame converted the inventory system from a manual card system to a specific museum soft-ware computer system. Every item ever loaned, given or purchased by us has been accounted for. Our moving and storage bidder has much experience and many referrals. Our inventory will be carefully packed, moved and stored in a climate controlled, fire protected environment. These people are BONDED and INSURED and our INSURANCE LIMITS have been INCREASED. Our approximately 90 guns will be treated, wrapped and crated in custom built crates, 8 or 9 guns to a crate. The guns will be shipped to the National Firearms Museum for storage and some will be loaned to a traveling exhibit with Bass Pro under the auspices of the National Museum. The late Dr. Lynn Parsons put together the gun side just this spring, a month or two prior to his untimely passing. Our storage contracy is NOT to exceed two years and our move is scheduled to take place the week of September 17.

Late Breaking Bulletin: Marvin Christian, official Grand American photographer for forty years has been disbursing his extensive photo collection as he is retiring.

Neil Winston and myself have purchased the Grand American Colection for The Hall of Fame...watch Trap and Field for the story. Nothing else on this matter comes to mind. Good Shooting and enjoy

19. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Smsnyder, you can count us in. We will send you an email.

Foster,Matt, Char and Bud Bartholow

20. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

How about this? if all 50 state trap associations each donated $20, the money would be raised and no one would be out very much. I'll put in Missouri's $20.

Smsnyder, could you PM me? thanks.....Karla

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2012 1902 trophy