1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

18.4 vs. 18.7?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BenelliM2, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

I am in the process of buying my first Perazzi and would like to know if there is a big difference between the 18.4 and the 18.7 bore?

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I went with the 18.8 bore size.....there was a discussion about this on shotgunworld (you can't access the site now) but from what I gleaned from it, the 18.4 produced some really nice tight patterns but with an increase in recoil. On the flip side, the Perazzi shooters who have the more overbored barrels had some nice evenly distributed patterns with less recoil from the overbored barrels. I follow the "bigger is better" concept for bore sizes, in any gauge so I leaned more towards the biggest factory bore size I could get.

3. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

The difference is .011"... 18.4 mm = .724" while 18.7 mm = .736" (18.8 mm is .741")

Nominal 12 gauge bore size is .729"

Mike K

4. chikeneyes

chikeneyes TS Member

A lot of people are upsizeing It is not uncommon to see .750 there are a lot of secrets or small differences the big guns use all the advantages they can get and there scores tell the difference thats why there 27 yrds and they also have time and resorces to follow the game

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

They seem to work quite well with big shells but may be marginal with 7/8 or even 1 oz loads.
    Joe

To really know you need to test each individual barrel.

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

The "larger" bores may pattern slightly better; not enough that the "average" shooter will be able to count on lots of added targets on his/her scorecard...emphasis on the word "lots". As far as felt or "perceived" recoil is concerned, the bore size takes a distant second place to overall gun fit. The 18.4 bore on my Perazzi is indistinguishable from the recoil from my 18.7 over/under barrels fired from the same receiver/stock/gun. If you like the gun and it is reasonably priced...Go For It...you won't be sorry. Best Regards, Ed

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm very confused about how anyone thinks bore size affects recoil at all.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Tim. Big time. My Wilkinson .740 recoils a whole bunch less than my past 18.4s

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

OK, but physics says it shouldn’t make any difference unless with the bigger bore, the muzzle velocity has dropped off significantly.

And honestly, all things equal, I can't imagine a bigger diameter barrel is going to get you a target you wouldn't have gotten with a smaller diameter barrel.

10. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

11. wm rike

wm rike Member

The recoil thing is akin to the difference between ported and unported barrels, fast powders vs slow powders, and singles vs unsingles. Given the same payload and velocity, the recoil is in fact the same, it's just the perception. Perception can be real.

12. JACK

A foot note to Killian's post. Timney is working on triggers in heaven now.

And of course Jack Seahase had an opposite opinion to the Randy Wakeman article. Seehase was a NASA engineer (as I recall). I have his brochure if anyone wants it in my e-file. The main substance of the brochure
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can send you a Zip File of the entire brochure. But it is large and your email provider may reject it die to size.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jack

I read that. Still have my copy. He may have been a NASA engineer (hey, I can say I'm a Nuclear Engineer because I've worked on the design of a nuclear power plant even though I'm really a Mechanical Engineer), but he had some really far fetched ideas about a few things.

14. JACK

I agree. On the other hand, my .740 bbl has less perceived recoil than my past 18.4. Adn my last 18.7 was better than my 18.4, but not as good as the Wilkinson. Ports are OK in my book (2 styles, Seitz, and ProPort) but I dislike concussion from ports. I will not shoot alongside a XT where theguy is shooting the bottom bbl when on the singles line.

15. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Jack, do you mind sending me the zip of the brochure. Would like to read it. thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.