1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

18.3 700x update

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wayneo, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I want to thank everyone that made replys to my first post. I called the Tech. department at Hodgdon, since they now own IMR, and talked to Chris Hodgdon about old and new 700x. He said 700x has NEVER changed. All powders have to follow SAAMI guidelines, and they can very slightly from lot to lot. All powders have a control lot that they are compared to, if they do not meet the standards of the control lot they are discarded. He said if reloading data changes for a powder its because the componets change, not the powder. I didnot ask him about using more powder than published data, I sure he would have said follow the manual. I did notice in the new IMR reloading manual a win. hull, win. primer, 1 1/8 oz. shot you can use up 19 grains of powder using a Claybuster CB1118-12 wad. Claybuster says use the same data as a Win. WAA12.
    Thanks, Wayne

2. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

Wayneo,
    Your investigation is appreciated. I still had some unanswered questions as to the history and called Mr. Hodgdon myself. When he said that 700X had never changed he was talking of the "Burn Rate" and was basically talking about since Hodgdon took over. He left the door open that there may have been a change in the formula years ago after Dupont sold. And, there were one or two owners before Hodgdon bought IMR in 2003. I do believe 700X is one of the best powders available but is different than it was say 30 years ago in a very small but percievable way. Evidenced if by nothing else, in the historical loading data from years ago compared to IMR (Hodgdon) data today. We may never know for sure. Where the heck is Bob Dodd on this? I would defer to him for the diffinitive answer on this issue with 700X. By the way, you'll never talk to a nicer individual than Chris Hodgdon.

Jim

3. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

I have used 18.3 grains of 700x for a long time. I use it in AA hulls with Win. primers and CB wads. I really like the load. I croned 5 new red AA and 5 of my reloads using 18.3 and got pretty close to the same speed. It is just a regular 3 dram load according to the crone.

4. In plain view

In plain view Member

Hoosier: I've been experiencing different wads with my 700X to try and come up with a load that resembles the Winchester Super Handicap loads. I have 7 pounds of 700X and see no need to go buy the new Winchester powder. You mention using 18.3 grains of 700X but didnt mention the speed that you tested. I'm interested in your comments. Thanks. Bob in Los Angeles

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Sir Jim, I really have no experience with that much 700 X in my reloads. I have used 700 X more than any other powder during my 35+ years of cooking my own soup and my chronograph records prove it is the most consistent powder I've ever used considering standard deviations (usually single digit) and in velocity. But all my records are with 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads and in the neighborhood of 16.2 to 17.5 grains of the powder. My first reaction to the original question was that 18.5 gr. would be too hot for 1 1/8 oz loads but I found that mistaken when using certain components like windjammer wads and Rem. primers for example. 18.5 grains would be too hot for this wimpy dude; or with my typical components....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Bob, The five new red AA had a speed of 1245 to 1255. The reloads had a speed of 1250 to 1260. Of course this is a measurement at the start of the shot string. I think the factory measures the middle of the shot string. To me my reloads shoot just like a new red AA.