1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

18-19 yard lines, keep or get rid of ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SC trapshooter, Jul 27, 2013.

1. SC trapshooter

SC trapshooter Member

Here we are, two weeks from the Grand. The 18-19 yard lines have been a point of contention. Many other delegates and state presidents I have talked to would like them to go. What say you ? There's time to bring it up at our meeting at the Grand.
    Jim Faber SC

2. us820

us820 Active Member

Anything under 20 is a joke.

3. t-bar

t-bar Member

Get rid of 18 yds. Anybody who has ever had to squad knows how hard it is to do.

Tbar

4. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

As a 18 yard shooter It really does not matter to me. I shoot the same scores from the 18 as the 20.

Going on three years at this sport and still haven't got a punch.

Does shooting from the 18 keep me shooting vs the 20, not a bit. I'd still shoot the same programs.

Tim

5. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

18, 16, who cares?

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

It's all relative. If you can't break a minimum average from the 18yd. line then it's as valid as any other yardage .... as long as you don't factor in sandbagging.

7. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

"I don't see the need for any of the intermediary yardage hokey-pokey. Shoot the 27 line with percentage classifications as is done at 16 yds. "

If we did that we would have to call it something other than handicap

8. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Why not start at 21yds and go to 30?

9. ZTWITHE

ZTWITHE Member

The problem with going to 30 would be all the costs to update EVERY club that throws registered targets. Ive been to a lot of clubs that have buildings, benches and such sitting where the 30 would be. Can you imagine how much it would cost to pour more concrete just at the big clubs alone? Not even a sensible idea, who comes up with this stuff?

10. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

So 27 yard caps AAA, AA, A, B, C, D, is that what you are saying?? Boy o Boy would the squaders love that and rightly so. Scott

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Keep, and why not use the 17 too?

12. JohnP

JohnP Member

Too many yardage groups. start at the 20 and go on.

13. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

14. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

Get rid of the 18-19 as handicap period. Trapshooting has a long history. It is not like the little league or the special Olympics where every one gets a trophy or special accommodations.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The average ATA shooter can't carry an average at singles above the breakpoint for a reduction in handicaps???? Long singles my @$$, how about using the 16 for caps also, most are already handicapped from there now!!

These kinds of thought processes spewed forth here as viable suggestions are a direct result of making our sports target presentations easier. It was a bad idea then as well as now.

Make it tougher on joe average and watch the membership drop even further.

Jim Faber, this is but another bad idea which I hope you as a delegate from SC don't buy into!!

HAP

16. RedScare

RedScare Member

The majority of punches seem to be going to the long yardage shooters so why does it matter?

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

stilltrying,

The Grand American Handicap has been won 37 times by shooters on the 19.5 down to the 16 yard marks dating back to 1902. All those I quickly counted were before 1983. There may be more but that's all I counted doing it quickly. Kind of debunks the long history thing you describe as the reason to toss those yardages.

Just Say'n.......

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The handicap systems works fine ... as is.

19. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

GRNTITAN... You busted my bubble I thought those old timers were all that! I am going to have to do some research to find out when the 27 yard line came into being. Oh I guess back in the day they did not have smokeless powder, plastic wads, and hard shot? Or maybe the rocks were so hard one had to hit them with a bowling ball to break them? Or maybe Trapshooters were just rich and not very good shots. But on the real thanks for the information:)

20. Al391brown

Al391brown Member

Minimum yardage should be 20. Anything under isn't handicap in my eyes!