1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

17hmr help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nutty1, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

hey guys, i'm not a rifle guy really and recently ended up w/40 boxs of 17hmr, i was thinking of buying something to shoot these w/ as iv'e heard this caliber is a lot of fun, but i dont want to spend a ton. are the cz 452/455 any good as a plinker or maybe a savage as that's around my price range, boy i sure would like a cooper, but that defeats the purpose , lol, thanks

2. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

CZ's shoot good, right out of the box, some have a set trigger that is hard for an old dog like me to get used to.

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I have a heavy barrel new england firearm single shot 17 hmr that is a blast!

4. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I ask here on TS.com about this subject and the most said buy a savage, so I did and have not been sorry. My heavy barrel savage shoots them little bullets in groups of a 1 !/2 inches at a 100 yards on a still day. I put a ER Brown 4-12 power scope on it and have been happy with the results.

5. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

tmi, i have rem, cci, fed, assortment steve

6. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Marlin Heavy Barrel With a 4X12 Center Point Scope. Not Much Money But, A LOT Of Gun & Fun.. Joe W.

7. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

My 14" Contender makes the big blacktailed jacks dance!

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

CZ's are exceptional for their price range, Savage's and Marlin's shoot great and are good values too. Couldn't go wrong with any of them but the CZ is ready out of the box.

9. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

I have both the CZ and the Savage heavy barrel. Put a thumbhole stock on the Savage and with the Savage trigger it for me outshoots the CZ.Both on a still day will shoot less than an inch at a 100 yards but when the wind picks up here in Florida, groups to go you know where..

Van

10. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

I bought a savage in 17hmr and it would not group for me, my bud, or a bench rest shooter who tried it. Sent it down the road and got a CZ in .22 and wondered why I waited so long. PS - *love* the set trigger on the 453.

LMS

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Had a Marlin and a CZ didnt like, then bought a Savage and exchanged the trigger for a rifle basix and love it

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have a Savage and it did not shoot that great till I tried some different ammo. It shoots the Hornady V-max 17 gr.hollow points best. 2 of my friends shoot nothing but the Hornady ballistic tips.

13. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

The Marlin heavy barrel shoots good and doesn't cost much.

14. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

I have 2 of the older savage pre accu triggers and I shoot over 3 thousand rounds per year at ground squirrels. I have had zero issues. I had my gun smith buddy do the trigger work and they still print. I would not buy any other brand for the price.

Dave

15. Briank

Briank TS Member

Just get one! They are a HOOT to shoot!

I love shooting tomatoes!! LOL!

16. crk

crk Member

Savage with a sweet-17 scope!

17. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have the heavy barrel savage also.. love it..

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I got a Ruger M77/17 about ten years ago and it ended my pass time of burning out .22-250 barrels in the squirrels fields. Incredible accuracy out to 200 yards and no ammo to reload.

Which ever rifle you end up with, I'm sure you will love shooting this round. Savage offers several models all with god reputations, I can vouch for the M77 Ruger (it will probably need trigger work), the CZ guns also get good reviews. Not sure if I would risk getting a Marlin these days.

19. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

I bought the CZ 452 American sporter weight as soon as it came out. I done a little work on the trigger sear and changed the spring in the adjuster and what a shooter it is. I love those little CZ rifles I dont think I have seen a rifle that was any more accurate rite out of the box. I own three of the rim fires in the short .17 17 hmr 22 rimfire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.