1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.17HMR AMMO Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a Marlin Model 17V and a Savage Mako in .17HMR. They are both the heavy bull barrel bolt action guns with 7 shot magazines. I have shot all the makes of ammo thru them. The problem i have, is with the Remington ammunition. It splits the case every shot. Is this something normal? Is it something i should worry about? None of the other manufactures of .17HMR do that. Anybody else have similar results?--Matt
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

have you tried different lot #s of the Remington ammo, or is it all from one lot?

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Not normal, bad ammo. HMB

4. grntitan

No actually i haven't tried any others as i haven't seen it for sale around here. I actually bought this ammunition out of state. I also was unsure about shooting or buying more after these results.

5. RWS52

RWS52 TS Member

That Remington box looks older, wasn't there a recall on some of that ammo a year or two ago? Check your run numbers on the box against Remington's website, I believe there is a recall section there. If not, google "remington 17hmr ammo recall", I remember reading something in a technical manual. I've got the same rifles along with a CZ425 American but I only shoot Hornady ammo, never had a problem.

Mark Peifer

6. grntitan

There is in fact a recall. I guess i should have checked their site when i first started having issues. Looks like they stress for semi-auto guns but i don't want that happening in my rifles. Looks like Remington has dropped the ball again.

Mark Peifer--The Hornady is most accurate in both of my guns. The Marlin likes the Winchester after the Hornady. The Savage prefers the Federal after the Hornady. I have not had good results with the CCI at all. Sad thing is the Remington was shooting groups similar to the Hornady in both rifles.

Thanks all

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

grntitan,

Yip, it looks like you got one of the bad batches.

CCI is the only manufacturer of 17HMR ammo. They produce it for everyone and they label it as their own. It all seems to be a little different and I've found ther Hornady labeled stuff to shoot the best in my Savage.

ss

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've had similar problems with The remington 17HMR.. My 77/17 Ruger likes the CCI's the best. Love that .17.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

In the 17 HMR, noting shoots as accurate as the Hornady VMax in any gun. I have a lot of 17 rifles and it proved out true on all of them

10. grntitan

Short Shucker--I have heard that before about CCI being the lone manufacture of all .17HMR ammunition. I actually find it hard to believe as accuracy varies so much. Seems to me if it were all the same, they would all shoot the same. I'm certainly not calling you a liar but do you have any facts that CCI indeed is the lone manufacture? Why do they vary so much in accuracy? I will agree they all look identical less the differnt colors of ballistic tips and of course CCI's hollow points.

11. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

From Chuckhawks site.

"It is common knowledge in the trade that all four brands of .17 HMR ammunition are being produced by CCI in their Idaho factory. The load specifications and bullets used in the various brands vary, however, so it would be a mistake to assume that all four brands will shoot equally well in any given rifle."

12. grntitan

Thanks RickN. Some interesting stuff there.

13. locdoc

locdoc Member

Ditto. Thanks RickN

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

14. dmccorki

dmccorki Member

If you want to know more about 17hmr ammo--manufacturing info, bullet differences, split cases, etc.--, the topic is a subforum on the rimfire central website. The early production runs of the ammo produced a number of defective rounds including instances where bullets lodged in the barrel because of poor powder charges.

15. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Matt

Over the last 4 years I have had five 17 HMR's. I still have three of them here that the wife and I both shoot. The CCI TNT Green HMR 16 Grain works the best in all of them. I prefer the Ruger Model 77/17 over the Savage and the CZ but all 3 shoot very well. I tried a Marlin and a S&W Model 647 and the were both a joke.

You might want to try that Green stuff. I was a little leery of it when a guy at the range sold me a box of it, but not any more.

Jim R

How is the stock refinishing job doing?

16. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

great i have about ten boxs, i hate dealing w/ this sorta thing

17. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

tm1, e-mail me

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I also had a few boxes of the bad Remingtons..they still were tack drivers even with the neck splits...on another note..I love the 17HMR but like the smaller 17 MachII even better ..in my CZ its the gophers worst enemy in the field behind my house

19. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Rumor has it that they are going to quit makin the mach 11 because of low sales. Has anyone heard anything?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.