1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

17cal Fireball

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by primer, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primer

primer TS Member

Can any one tell me who makes a rifle for this cal, and where I can find one. Thanks.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

remington.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

there are a lot of wildcat 17s most are custom made most are 222 223 necked down the brass last about 2 reloades so good luck you can check with randy selbey in WY he does custom rifes rick

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

remington model 7 and 700 series

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Pardon my ignorance, but I am not familiar with the .17 cal. What is it used for? Is it a rim fire or center fire cartridge? Thanks for any info.

JON

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

The .17 Remington is a centerfire rifle cartridge.

The Fireball was a Remington pistol cartridge...I believe it was of .22 caliber;something like a .221?

EDIT: Ooops! I learn something new every day:
    http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/17_Remington_Fireball.asp

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

For a review of this new cartridge, see p. 42 of the 11/07 American Rifleman magazine. It's basically a .17 Mach IV, or .17-.221 Fireball. The .17 Mach IV is just a great cartridge, does what the .17 Rem does with much less powder. I love mine. I look for good things from this new .17 Fireball. Phil E

8. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Remington makes guns for the .17 Fireball. It is a necked down .221 Fireball(.22 cal.)cartridge. The .221 is somewhat shorter cartridge than our military .223,otherwise being the same dimentions case-wise,in many respects. I have a rifle that uses that same case in .30 caliber. I can use a 240 grain bullet in it as opposed to the 20 grain bullet used in the .17. It is a center fire case. Tom Lobonc

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I thought the TCU wildcats put those Fireball calibers out of business??

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

These rounds are very hot, very fast, extremely destructive on varmint sized game, have an inoffensive muzzle signature, and are good about not ricocheting. They work well in populated areas, but are wind sensitive at extended range.

They are a lot of fun. The bigger rounds foul the bore quickly, a long time problem with the 17. The little 17 Fireball makes a lot of sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.