1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

17 yard HNCP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

    Old Cowboy Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    2,988
    Simple question, why don't we utilize the 17 yard line? With all the perenial discussion about everything wrong with the handicap system and all everybody thinks should be changed to fix it, seems to me if the purpose of handicaping is to level the playing field then why stop at the eighteen? A quick count on a random page of the average book came up with roughly half of the shooters that registered ATA targets in 2012 carried LESS than a 90% average in singles.......now if that many can't even carry a breakpoint average from 16 yards why would we think they might from two yards farther back, for that matter why not let 'em shoot handicap from the 16 yard line? If we REALLY want to level the playing field, rather than pouring more concrete behind the 27 yard line why not pour the additional concrete ahead of the 16, say maybe up to about 10 yards? I can think of a number of places where it'd be a major excavation project to pour two or three yards behind the 27 but I can't think of a single one where the ground isn't pretty level and unobtructed between the 16 yard line and the traphouse.
     
  2. Scott Johnson

    Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    Messages:
    1,827
    Location:
    Conrad, Mondamtana
    Maybe let some of them stand on the house and use a skeet choke?? Scott
     
  3. southjblue

    southjblue Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    3,646
    I don't think K could make it to the top of the house---We'd beat him for disqualifiaction---I'll go for that----SJB
     
  4. darr

    darr Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    1,986
    Old Cowboy,you make way too much sense.It will never happen.


    Darr
     
  5. Harley Lekvold

    Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    Messages:
    660
    Location:
    Mountain Home, Idaho
    John I agree with Darr. You make too much sense and it will never happen. You should become the President of the ATA.
     
  6. Setterman

    Setterman Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2007
    Messages:
    11,130
    True about the average, but here's the kicker,....How much do they practice?

    If I put in 6 practice rounds a week to master my yardage and the 17 yarder just shows up, he doesn't deserve the advantage.
     
  7. oleolliedawg

    oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    10,124
    Location:
    Northampton PA
    We tried that short yardage stuff many moons ago-it didn't work then and probably won't work now. It was even difficult to find squads from that yardage at the Grand American in Ohio. Nice thought-doesn't work!!
     
  8. southjblue

    southjblue Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    3,646
    OLEO----What will work???SJB
     
  9. oleolliedawg

    oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    10,124
    Location:
    Northampton PA
    George, if you stink for around 7 years of active Trapshooting you'll likely stink forever. Frank Little's words not quite so eloquently spoken. Not everyone is destined to be a successful trapshooter. We all know guys and gals who've shot trap for 40 years and still belong on top of the traphouse shooting handicap. Doesn't make 'em bad people just lousy shooters but we still need every one of 'em!!
     
  10. scratcher

    scratcher TS Member

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2005
    Messages:
    295
    Why not just change minimum handicap yardage to 16.5 yds? Create another yardage group, make sure to have every category represented in that group. Based upon what I'm reading and hearing, trapshooting is no longer an outdoor, competitive sport. Let's soften it up to make it harder for the good shooters (supposedly), and easier for those whom will never be able to shoot, but think they need more help to support their limited ability by penalizing those with decent skills. You guys should read what you're writing!! If you never were good 'back when',you'll never be good now or going forward.

    For me, I've had my day in the sun; I made every goal I set for myself. If I have regrets, it's that I may not have set those goals high enough, when I was young enough.. I am content, however....

    Dick Gries
     
  11. daddiooo

    daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    4,004
    Location:
    GEORGIA
    Yeah, let's move'em all to the 16 yard line for handicap and give'em a trophy for showing up. Wouldn't want to injure their tender sensibilities.

    What a joke.


    This whole post is a colossal waste of band width.
     
  12. puablo

    puablo Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    Messages:
    2,376
    WE WANT CLOSER!!!!!!HAHAHAHA!!!!!!
     
  13. southjblue

    southjblue Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    3,646
    Oleo---Nice post but you didn't ans my ?---What do you think will work???

    George
     
  14. southjblue

    southjblue Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    3,646
    Oleo---I just reread your post---What determines a trapshooter that stinks---Just wondering---Where do you fit???George
     
  15. likes-to-shoot

    likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2006
    Messages:
    6,087
    Location:
    Iowa
    Some of these guys just don't understand that there are quite a few trapshooters who just shoot with friends and for fun. If a good score comes along fine and dandy. But in doing so they are labeled.
     
  16. southjblue

    southjblue Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    3,646
    Likes to shoot---According to some---They stink but we need them----SJB
     
  17. us820

    us820 Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2012
    Messages:
    383
    I think it should be 16s, dbls, and 27s.
     
  18. mikkeeh

    mikkeeh Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Messages:
    800
    Location:
    Mount Vernon Ohio
    I think 21 should be the minimum HCP yardage. Certainly theres a percentage of shooters that dont average 90% from the 16. Is 18 really any different. Make 21 minimum....make yardage reductions mandatory...and have fun. Sure would make squadding a whole lot easier.
     
  19. mikkeeh

    mikkeeh Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Messages:
    800
    Location:
    Mount Vernon Ohio
    I think 21 should be the minimum HCP yardage. Certainly theres a percentage of shooters that dont average 90% from the 16. Is 18 really any different. Make 21 minimum....make yardage reductions mandatory...and have fun. Sure would make squadding a whole lot easier.
     
  20. LDAdd

    LDAdd TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    290
    I have to agree with oleolliedawg...what are we trying to accomplish here?
    What us "regular" shooters have to decide is what do we want from this game.
    I think most of us like to participate, understanding that once in awhile the game will throw us a bone. If you are a 19, 23, or even a 27 yard shooter, your goal should be to win your yardage group, and perhaps some 25's and 50's now and then. There is no use in spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to defeat the best shooters in the sport, whether or not you propose to created a 30-yard line or a 17-yard line, or both. In fact, if you don't hold a fairly good 16 yard average, the 17 yard line isn't going to help you at all in handicap shooting. Let's face it folks, we are lucky in this sport to be able to enter the biggest and best ($$$) shoots in the country be simply showing up and paying your entries. Try that in golf....not a chance. When we have 3000 plus shooters vying for the GA Handicap or similiar, there are realistically about 5% of the entries who have a credible chance of winning or placing high. Except for the luck factor, 95% of the entries have no chance whatsoever of winning the GAH.

    The other side of this story is that it is a hell of a lot of fun to be able to go and shoot these events and if you luck out and win any little thing, it is frosting on the cake. But we get to literally rub shoulders with all the top dogs, visit the vendors who treat us like we are someone, visit all our buddies and make new friends, etc, etc. You can't beat this opportunity if you're really into trapshooting. All the shoots I attend within 200 miles of Redding, CA may only have as many as 15 to 25 squads, but there is always at least several folks that could reasonable compete at the GA, and do. So there is no reason not to just enjoy yourself, hope for that "bone" that day, and look forward to the next shoot. Just remember, you can't just play in Pebble Beach or the Masters by just walking in and signing up. At least in our game, you can do just that. Have a good time and don't try to subvert the best people in the game just so you can get a "cheap punch".

    Cheers

    Larry Addison
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

17 yard trap shooting