1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

17 HMR

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I took one of my 17 HMR's to the range today and shot 17 HMR for the first time. I don't ever remember getting as good of groups with any other calibur and It was more fun than anything I have ever taken to the range. Not much noise or recoil, just a blast. The gun I took did not like Federal's but it sure did like CCI V Max's and Hornady V Max's. At 200 yards I had numerous bullet on top of bullet groups and I am not that good of a shooter anymore. I was a good shooter in the Corp but that was 40+ years ago. It took some adjustments, shims under the mounts etc but after 50 bullets and finding out the Federals did not group it all came together. Just wondering if any of you have experience with the 17. Prairie dogs and whistle pigs are next

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Welcome to the 17 caliber lovers club...I have both the Mach2 and the HMR...both are just an absolute blast to shoot..albeit the Mach2 is much cheaper...Lou ...try some of those 17 Aguila's with the 20 bullet in your mach2...it will cure that problem of flyaways..and aim at the base of the neck

3. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I have a 17 HMR and a 17 Mach11. They are great to shoot and super accurate.
    Best thing sense sliced bread in a rimfire.

4. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

Love my .17 The Hornady 17 gr frangible bullet turns ground hog heads into soup. They don't appear to like any crosswind beyond 75 yards though.

5. gramulin

gramulin TS Member

Hornady 20grain hp work the best for me. I an half way thru my second box of a thousand. Pat

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Most fun a guy can have - varmints with the 17HMR. You can shoot it all day and no hassles of reloading ammo.

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It's the funnest gun that I own. Mine is a Savage 93 with a Basix trigger that is set at 11oz. and a Redfield Illuminator 3x9 scope.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1031.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Thx for the input. My Savage likes the CCI V Max and the Hornady V Max best.

Tron, really nice set up. I need a butt plate like that and a little more lenght too. I will call you next week

9. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

I have the same set us Tron. I also have a HMR, both fun to shoot but I like the HMR a little better as it has a flatter trajectory. They both are amazing to shoot.

10. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

My 17/223 put down several PA deer. A 25 gr bullet through the ribs, no exit wound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

17hmr bullet trap