1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

17 HMR Savage

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by primer, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primer

primer TS Member

0   0   0

Is this a good rifle? I have been thinking about buying one and I would like to know if they are will shot well. Has any one shot one? If some one has one for sale I would be interested. Thanks

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

0   0   0

i have had one for 3 years,,one of the best shooting guns i have ever had

3. Landshark

Landshark Member

0   0   0

Ditto on the above. I love mine.

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Great rifle. I have the SS heavy barrel.

Be sure to get the Accu-Trigger.

Jim Skeel

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My son has had the 93R17FV, which is the synthetic stock version with a heavy barrel.

It's very, very accurate, and it has a very good trigger.

The Marlin is very close for accuracy, so close that dead is dead. The Savage trigger beats the Marlin hands down, helping you get the full potential out of the gun. The only thing we do not care for with the Savage is the drop of the stock. The Marlin has a much better comb. Brownells carries an add-on comb called a Scope-Eze, and that should solve the problem.

Sean has been carrying it more and more on varmint trips. He's had no crawl offs with it, unlike other rimfires. Even though it is a flat shooting rimfire, it is not comparable to a flat shooting centerfire. You need to know your holdover or holdunder, or use a scope that compensates.

Sean says that if he had it to do again, he'd probably go with the new 93R17 BRJ, pic below. It has a much better stock.<br>
    [​IMG]
    (Apparently Savage no longer allows linking to their photos. Pity, since that's free advertising.)

One annoyance of the Savage is that the magazine and especially its catch sticks out, so it can dig into your back when slung. Sharp Shooter Supply has two different laminated stocks that have better combs and cover the magazine and its release. They come in a variety of colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Very accurate rifle, well made. Magazine release and ease of dropping a mag leaves a lot to be desired. I had the Accu trigger but switched it out for a rifle basix. I thought the trigger sucked but the basix cured that. Alls aid it is a very good buy, probably the best buy you will ever make

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have one with the accu trigger as well. Either I have a bad trigger or it sucks. Great gun, so-so trigger in my case anyway.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

My favorite plinker. I put a Basix trigger in mine and it's at a very crisp 10oz. I also made some modifications to the stock, being that it felt like it was built for a little kid. I have a Redfield Eluminator 3x9 mounted and I'm very happy with it.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view┬Ąt=100_1030.jpg" target="_blank"> 100_1030.jpg </a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1031.jpg" target="_blank"> 100_1031.jpg </a>

9. TjayE

TjayE Member

0   0   0

Tron, I like the way you have your gun set up. Fine looking piece. Tom

10. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

0   0   0

There is a model on sale at Dunhams for $200.

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

0   0   0

I have three of the 93s, two in 17, one in 22 wmr. One of the 17s was a pile of rusted crap after water/smoke damage and took a couple hours of lapping on the bore and elbow grease on the outside but now shoots in one and one half MOA, the undamaged one under one MOA. The 22wmr is slightly over that but I still have several kinds of ammo to try.

I've found that the Hornady brand of ammo shoots best in my Savages, Remington in my Taurus Tracker (blue, not SS).

I don't think you can go wrong with the Savages. We just delivered a Marlin 17 yesterday and it was as plain as a yard of pump water and had one of the hardest trigger pulls I have seen on a production rifle and a bolt that felt like it was rubbing two pieces of raw steel over each other. I hope it shoots for the buyer.

I like the stocks pictured above. I think I might consider one for mine as the black synthetic is really plain and ugly.

12. JTEA

JTEA Member

0   0   0

Stainless bull barrel with accu-trigger. In my opinion a 16 or 20X scope does these guns justice. You can see the fur fly at 100 yds. when you "bowl over" a groundhog. Some mfgs. have a built in bullet drop / yardage adjustment made just for 17's.
    Hornady's shoot well, CCI's even do the job.

JT

13. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters TS Member

0   0   0

I really like my Savage 17HMR...its a tack driver and real nice to shoot at critters at closer ranges than you need a centerfire!

14. 90T

90T Member

0   0   0

I have a Marlin 917VR , I did do a trigger job on it, and I really do like it. Great gun. A friend of mine has the Savage, but we find both guns shoot close to the same.
    90T

15. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

0   0   0

For $350.00 this is hard to beat,,,,Mine is left handed and shoots way better than I do,,,,

16. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

0   0   0

Here is a right hand model and I see the price is up to 385.00,,,must be a popular rifle,,,,

17. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

0   0   0

oicu812, Correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe those thumbhole stocks that come factory now are "Boyds" If so, they are very nice. I fitted one to a M-12 savage in 22-250 before they were offered factory. Really nice looking piece.

18. crk

crk Member

0   0   0

Agree with all said already. Magazine release and insertion leaves some to be desired though. Sweet 17 scope helps and not hard on the wallet. Good prairie dog gun for walking around the towns.

19. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

0   0   0

Gun Dog you may be right about the Boyd's, I'm not sure but it came from the factory with the thumb hole stock. The pic above is one of a Revolution stock I just built a Ruger 10-22 on. I'll get a pic of the complete gun up here sometime,,18" Shaw barrel and a 4x16 scope, turned out great and shoots real good,,

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

You should see what a 17 HMR or MachII does to a starling at 50 yards..a littleblack feather cloud with feet and a beak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.