1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

17 grain loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pigkiller, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I currently shoot 19.4 grains of Clays in an STS shell 1-ounce load with Winchester 209 primers and a Windjammer wad. I am switching to a 17-grain load and wondered if anybody else had luck with 1-ounce loads in that grain weight. I will be switching to a Downrange XL-1 wad.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

sure. works fine...

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

You will like it, sometimes I will go with a 16.5 & it also works fine.

4. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

1 oz #8, 17 grains of Clays, Spolar Gold wad or WAA12 clone, Winchester 209 and Remington hull. Works fine at the 16 and for the first shot of doubles.

I am on the 25 for caps and have never tried it there (and don't plan to).

Bob

5. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I just checked Lyman's. 17 grains of Clays with a 209 primer and a Downrange Xl-1 wad in a 1-ounce load shoots at 1206 fps. Sounds like shooting 19.4 grains is overkill.

6. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

Three of us sharing a reloader, and all use and like the same loads. For practice, 17.3gr Clays (MEC 31 bushing) in AA or STS/Nitro hulls, WW209 primer, WJ or DR 1 0z wads, and 1 oz reclaimed shot; nominal velocity is 1200fps. This is a VERY clean load, with mild recoil and report; excellent from 16 yds. When it counts, we switch to 1 1/8 oz new shot, DR 8-petal WJ replacement wads (the orange ones), with bushing 34 dropping 19.2gr Clays, nominal velocity also 1200fps. All of us find this load to be pleasant also, and I'm not sure any of us picks up any birds that would have been lost with the 1oz load; it's a psychological thing. With DR four-petal Rem replacement wads, this is also our Handicap load, specs comparable to the STS 3dram 1 1/8 Light Handicap load.

7. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I shoot 17 grain of clays in my 1oz loads. Works great for me in trap and sporting clays.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

All I shoot on the 16 is 1 oz. of 8.5's and 17 gr. of Clays. That is a great load. And I think I've tried everything in the last 30+ years of reloading.

9. RichardCurtis

RichardCurtis TS Member

Most of you shoot 1oz, is that for less recoil or saving shot, or both.

Thanks
    RC

10. kene

kene TS Member

earlybird -- your comment about using MEC bushing 31 to get 17.3 gr of clays -- that is what the MEC chart says but it also says in fine print that if you are using a progressive loader the drop will be lighter and to weigh the drops to really calibrate it -- I use the same load and after weighing the drops I had to go to bushing #33 in my grabber to get to 17.4 gr of clays. from my experiment data I would expect that you are getting about 16 1/2 gr of clays from the 31 bushing which would give you about 1150fps.

rc -- a bit of both for me ...

kene

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

One ounce load with 17 grains of Clays will give you a very nice, soft recoiling load that will crush singles targets.

The XL-1 wads work quite well.

12. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Thanks all for the feedback. I ordered the bushing from Spolar and should be in business sometime next week. My coach reloaded a batch for me with 17 grains of Clays, and I saw no difference in my breaks. I think the reduced recoil will help me focus on the shot. Should be fine for 20-yard handicap too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.