1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16yds vs. 27yd trap loads and load speeds????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by yendor12, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yendor12

yendor12 Member

I'm a fairly new shooter in singles, I hold my own but want to be more conststant. I started using 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz loads did ok but was asked and try 7/8 oz loads. They are faster at 1290 fps, so does faster mean better? And what should I use on the 27yrd line, 1 1/8 or 1 0z fps??

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Faster is not really better, especially from the 16 yard line and perhaps not even from the 27. I like 1 1/8 oz shells. The big advantage of lighter shot loads is less recoil. But, if you load light shot charges at high velocities, you give up much of the low recoil advantage.

My suggestion is to not get hung up with the slight differences between different loads and pay attention to the fundamentals of shooting. Keeping your head on the comb and seeing the target well is much more important than the load you shoot at the target.

Pat Ireland

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Shoot a round that won't beat you up. Your comfort with the gun and round are important to your shooting well from any yardage. A standard trap load (new) should work well from yardage at least it has for me. i shoot light loads AA and they do fine from the 27;however I'm shooting practice.

4. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Standard trap load is 1 1/8 oz of #7 1/2 or #8 at 1150 fps (2 3/4 dram). This is the absolute heaviest load needed for singles and doubles, and it will break targets beyond the 27 yard line. Though while at the 27 yard line, I prefer 1 1/8 oz at 1200 fps (3 dram) or faster (Super Handicaps), and would only compete with size 7 1/2 shot.

If you're using a 7/8 oz or 1 oz load at the 16 yard line, they do not need to be any faster than 1200 fps.

~Michael

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Michael,

Thanks for the chuckle.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

16 yd---1 oz #8 @ 1180 fps

HNCP---1 1/8 oz #8 @ 1200 fps

John C. Saubak

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

A friend loaded a box of Express loads (3 3/4 X 1 1/4) for grins and brought them to the 16. Not only did they not break the birds any better than a standard trap load, but he left the line after 3 stations! (ouch)

I shot four of them. WOW! My MX-8 does NOT like such loads, and it let me know it!

I like 28 grams (one ounce) at 1250 for the 16 and Dubs. 32 grams (1 1/8 ounce) at 1250 for the back fence.

Twenty four grams (7/8 ounce) at 1350 for Bunker, and 21 grams (3/4 ounce) at 1300 for Skeet.

8. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

JBrooks, I wasn't aware I said anything that was amusing. After going back and reading what I wrote, I stil don't see anything that's funny. Care to clue me in on the humor?

~Michael

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Michael- You and I shoot the same loads and I hope you shoot them better than I do. I did not find anything humorous in your post. Isn't it strange how two people can look at the same thing and see something different?

Pat Ireland

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

OKAY, I missed it too. Clue me in!

11. gslam

gslam TS Member

Anything works at 16yrds. including reclaimed shot. At 27yd however 7.5 at 1250 or faster is a must for consitant success. Speed kills is true in trap as well as on the road.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot a lot of Winchester Super Handicap shells from the 27. I suspect that such a heavy shell is not necessary. The primary reason I buy them is.... well, I don't know why I buy them, I just do.

Pat Ireland

13. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

There is no definitive answer to this question.....only opinions. My opinion is that you can use 1150s , 1200s, or 1250s...it is what ever you feel most comfortable with. I find that 1150s (1 1/8oz) work very well for all events... singles, doubles, and 27 yds. I find the 1250s recoil is excessive and see no difference in performance/results, so why put up with the recoil? Walt Hastings

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Shoot what ever your gun likes because all shells are not created equally (this can be proved at the pattern board)... I do not care for shooting 16 yard targets because I get bored real easy, but almost any flavor (1100-1150-1175-1200-1250 etc) will break 16 yard targets without much trouble if you do your job ...

I use Handicap loads for Handicap especially from the 27 yard line ... I don't figure they would make them and most of the Top Guns would shoot them if there wasn't some advantage to shooting them ... Nitro 27's are what my guns like best so those are the prefered shells for me at Handicap ... Winchester Silver Bullets always gave me a head ache (I swear its true) so I am glad the Nitro's didn't ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I made it to the 27 this past summer, and have been shooting Super Handicaps because they're the max factory load you can use. Recoil with them isn't too bad, but I wouldn't want to shoot 200 handicap targets in a day. Tried a box of green Rio's late in the summer that were rated at the same 1250 fps as the Super Handicaps. My perception was that they got the shot to the target just as fast as the AAs, but kicked noticably less. Also shot some Winchester Heavy Target (3 dram 1 1/8 oz) late in the season, and they seemed to do just as fine as the other loads, again, with noticably less recoil than the Super Handicaps. Not sure what I'm going to shoot next summer, but I'm leaning toward the Rios.

~Michael

16. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Michael: Do yourself a favor and try some Lights (1150fps) at the 27 yd line. You will not perceive any difference in time to "put the shot on the target" and you can shoot 400 or more in a day if need be. Walt

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I think Harlan Campbell's trapgun weighs about 13 pounds or so. Possibly he's figured something out that works best for him in the recoil department?

For sure, very slow loads will break clays from a long distance, it's just harder to get the same leads needed to be consistent with them. Even just a few inches difference in lead could be very telling in your score in my opinion. Hap

18. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

If your inconsistent...it's not the fault of the ammo!LOL Go back and reads Pat's post! Walt

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Michael- Do not depend on the velocities printed on boxes of discount shells. The velocity printed on the box may not relate to the velocity of the shells. I suggest you test 10 RIO shells that are warm and test 10 shells that have been cooled in a refrigerator or ice chest.

I have seen the test data for RIO shells and I understand why they have less recoil.

Pat Ireland

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

yendor, take the time to pattern your gun with different loads and different chokes at 35 and 45 yards. Try to find the load with the fewest holes in the pattern. For example, my BT-99 with an IM choke and 1oz. 1200fps load has a more even pattern than a 1-1/8 load at 1150fps at 35 yards. Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are faster fps better for trap shooting

best speed shell for shooting handicap trap

best trap loads 1300fps or 1200fps
heaviest loads for trap
light vs heavy trap loads
the best load for 27yrd trap
trap 27yd
what is a good speed for handicap trap