1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16ga Trap Gun ????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tonygrz, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Have a chance to pickup a used but very nice Win M12 in 16ga. It has a 30 inch full choke plain barrel and the stock has been shortened a bit. My question, has anyone "trapped up" a Model 12 16ga before? Any big problems? I know that MEC makes a 16 ga reloader and the 16 can be loaded with 7/8s or 1 oz loads.

Anyone try this before or have comments???

Thanks,

Tony G (Texas)

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Doesn't matter if anyone has done it before. If it floats your boat, go for it. I made a 7/8ths scale 20ga trap gun from a Rem 1187.

3. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Winchester made 16 gauge factory trap model 12's. 16's can also be load with 1 1/8 oz too. The 16 gauge was basicly writen out of exsitance in the 50's by the sporting writers but there is nothing wrong with it for hunting, trap or what ever shooting you do. Have at it!!!

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are a few disadvantages to using a 16 gage for trap. The lighter weight of the gun is considered by many to be a disadvantage for a smooth swing. Hulls can be difficult to find and wads are not readily available at discounted prices. Selling a 16 gage trap gun can be very difficult.

A 16 gage M-12 project can be fun and shooting one on the line would be interesting. Adding a rib and a trap stock to a 16 gage will require an investment that might not make financial sense.

Pat Ireland

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

1100, Jack West stock.

Done.

HM

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Kent, Gamebore, RST and B&P all make excellent cartridges for the 16b. Ballistic Products sells hulls and wads.

7. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Thanks for all the advice. Might just get it and just "play" with it for a while. Don't have too much money to invest in an all out "trap" conversion - retired.

Tony G.

8. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Just punch up 16ga society. com and you will find more imformation and 16 gauge guns than you ever thought of. If you reload check out the 16ga low pressure group. Don't write of the 16 its commong back big.
    I have a mod 12 trap I built up when I was about 14. Had Simmons put on a rib. New fajen wood and headed for the trap club.
    I have brought home more meat and money with that gun than you would believe. On shootoffs it will hold it own with any of the 12. All you need to do is get used to the lighter weight on the front end.
    I still shoot it quite often and still take money with it. Sometime I don't mention its a 16 ga just to keep down the talk. Other times I let them know just to get something started.
    Oh ya when I built up the mod 12, 16ga that was in 1964.

9. joe scout

joe scout Member

I have a nice old model 37 16ga.trap, 85-90%, vented rib, ungraded wood, full choke --- anyone have a guess what it could be worth ?

Tks,
    Joe

10. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Joe--if it's a Model 37T and so marked and unaltered, it's worth between $550 and $650, in the shape you describe. A mint one would fetch about $750 or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.