1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16ga for trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Back in the old days, 16ga guns were common for trap.

Today, 12ga dominates, and for the handful of trapshooters using a smaller gauge, the 20 gauge appears to be it.

Reading various books on shotgunning, the 16ga is praised for having ideal patterns with 1 oz loads.

The same load in a 12ga is wider and shorter, yet I've not heard it stated whether it is better, same or worse than the 16ga load for patterning.

Yet, it is stated that a 1 oz load in a 20ga exhibits shot stringing.

I'm wondering if anyone on the cutting edge of trapshooting performance has given a new look at 16ga for 1oz loads?

I realize Remington tried to make a comback with the 16ga in the 870 and 1100 platforms, but they appear to have failed not because of performance but because the guns were nothing more than smalle bore 12ga guns (older 16ga guns were often scaled down), and the ammo was priced more than 12ga. But I'm asking from a pure performance standpoint.

2. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Go to 16ga society .com. I shoot one very often on trap. Have for years. I probably have taken just as much with the 16 and the 12. 16 is what I use on trap when I was a teenager. Didn't know anybetter and beat out the 12's all the time. Guess I just fell in with the crowd with the 12 but go back to the 16 often. Wild Bill

3. WCR

WCR TS Member

When I was growing up we had a 16ga side by side 30" Full & Mod. We patterned it for still board shoots but the pattern spread to much at 30 yards. As I remember the pattern was very even over the circle but we needed a gun with a tighter pattern. We ended up going to a 12ga Brettea Dad bought for $49.00. It would average 45 hits in a 3" circle at 30 yards right out of the box.

4. APrice

APrice Active Member

Brettea?

5. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

i thought about a 16ga for wife-but shell availability sucks

kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.