1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 yd powder and wad choice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Just a quick opinion what you like to load for 16 yd targets, with powder and wads, I like to shoot 1 1/8 loads but would like something around 1100-1125, thinking of trying some PB, any other recommendations?

Thanks!

2. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I think PB is a little too slow burning for what you want. As far as powder and wad combos, it depends on what hull you are reloading. If you are reloading AA, STS or Gun clubs, Red dot with WAA12 clone will get you pretty close. Be sure to consult a reliable loading guide.

JMAC

3. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Yes sorry, STS hulls and I have some windjammer wads and some blue downrange xxl wads.

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Go to Hodgdon website and look up some PB loads. They do have some listed at 1100fps. It would not the powder I would use but they are available.

Ajax

5. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Open to suggestions on powders and wads

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

For powders look at Red Dot or PROMO or CLAYS.

That blue DownRange Wad you have is a good fit in the STS hull using 1 1/8 Oz shot and CLAYS. Makes beautiful 2 3/4 dram type loads.

This isn't just a 16 yard load , it works for doubles and all the way back on the 27.

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I've been using Clays, WWA12 or Claybuster Clone, and 1 1/8oz. of 7 1/2's for years. Velocity has been in the 2 3/4-3 Dram area. Putting it all together in a AACF hull. Works wonderful when I do my part. I recently started loading 1 oz. loads using STS hulls and the Claybuster AA12SL clone. Again loads and works beautiful. However with 1 oz. I like to keep the speed at around 1235. I read somewhere that this combination and speed yields great patterns. It's been my observation that it does. Hope this helps, Mike.

8. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

In the STS/Gun Club hull I use Clays and RedDot with either the Remington or Down Range Fig 8 wad. Velocity usually between 1125-1150 fps.

9. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Unique & Claybusters Fed Wad. Also it produces a low CUP pressure.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

STS hull~~19.3 grains Green Dot~~DRRF8 wad~~W209 primer~~1 1/8 oz shot

My favorite load

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

For singles and doubles it is very hard to beat an R209, genuine Fig8 and 18 grains of Clays. This is the published 1145 ft/sec load in Hogdons manual. For me this duplicates the factory STS 2.75 Dr load. I also use the best shot I can for ATA.

For practice I substitute a windjammer 1oz wad and use Northwest or Grafs or whatever shot I have handy.

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I used to shoot the old Winchester Super Lite shell and they were 1125. I set up my soft load at the same speed over my chronograph. It took 17.5 Grains of Green Dot(in a tapered case)with Blue Duster wad and it was a great load for singles. It is subject to cold weather and I had to move to 18 Grains to keep away from soft loads. It takes 19 grains in a Federal case with a paper base wad.

I like Green Dot but there are many efficient powders on the market that will put you in that range. Some of them have been mention above.

BTW-I carried a 98.16 Average on 2400 singles with this load. So it works fairly well.

Ajax

13. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

I do have 8 lbs of green dot on hand, I may give that a try. I have not been reloading much this summer with the rebate programs going on, but would like to get loaded up ahead over the next 6 mos. From my notes the last time I loaded GD for singles it was around 17.9-18.2 gr with the windjammer wad or the blue downrange.

14. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

With all the top gun hulls free for the taking ... my fav 16yd load is: FTG hull, CB12S3 clone, 18.0-18.5gr Promo powder, Fed 209A primer, 1-1/8 of West Coast shot. Load once and toss.

15. schneep

schneep Member

Win AA
    e3 Alliant Powder
    Mec # 29 Bushing 16.2 ave. weight in gr.
    Win 209
    CB 1100
    1 oz lead

Same for Nitros with slight crimp adjustment

16. Kolarshtr

Kolarshtr TS Member

Win AA hull,win 209 primer,16.0-16.5 grns Alliant e-3 powder,downrange Fig 8 wad,

1 1/8 ounces #8 shot. Good 16 yard load.

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Try 16 grs Promo AA case w a 1 ounce wad

GB
    DLS

18. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

17.0 grs Promo, 1oz 8.5 mag. shot STS or Nitro hull, and windjammer 1oz. wad. This load has a higher pellet count than 1 1/8oz of 8's and noooo recoil. It really breaks em hard. Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

favorite load for ata doubles