1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 yd load for x-full choke

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by john clime, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john clime

john clime TS Member

Is it possible to spread this pattern out? Is there a load that can open up this tm-1 with 40 thousands restriction,or is that asking too much? I have been using sts hulls - rem 209 - fig 8 - 18.7 red dot - 11/8 of 7.5 shot.Will changing speed,wad,1oz of 8 shot etc. help?

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Let the target get further out of the house before shooting it? Seriously, only experimentation with different wads and powder combinations through the gun you are shooting using a pattern board will produce any known conclusions. Personally, I am always looking for the tightest and most consistent pattern I can achieve regardless of the distance, just love smoking them with my x-full.

Robert

3. john clime

john clime TS Member

Robert being new to this i dont shoot very well.When my 16yd scores are the same as my 27's i figure it must be too tight.I will take said advice of giving them some distance.I do shoot too fast and sometimes move the gun on the streak.Thanks John

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Try a reduced load and shot size. One ounce of 8 1/2s - not fast stuff either, less than 1200 fps. I used to shoot a fixed choke gun with 35 points of restriction. Shot some pretty good scores with it also. I have no experience with 40 points of choke but I think most 16 yard targets are lost for reasons other than choke size.

5. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Go to 9's at 1200 or so.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I patterned some of those "spreader" wads from Downrange. I compared them to my normal Downrange DR-XL1 wads. Using the same primer, powder and shot charges; the "spreader" wads actually produced a tighter pattern. In another gun this might differ, but I was surprised to find the tighter patterns from wads that were supposed to do the opposite. Anyone else out there tested the "spreader" wads? Ed

7. mastergunner

mastergunner TS Member

I have use a speader wad from downrange that worked well, I also used 8s

The 1st time I used these I ran 100 strait.

I know most will say so, but with .41 choke I believe they helped.

I would suggest that you get a few samples, pattern them and see what you think before you buy them. Down range would probably send you a sample packet if you e-mailed them and explained what you want to do.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You mentioned shooting 27 yard handicap and also being new to the game - generally these things don't go together. Assuming your handicap is typical of a new shooter say 20-22 yards or so then I would consider options for a more open choke. This may mean modifying the barrel you have or finding another barrel/gun. It is true that there are spreader loads but relying on trick shells isn't going to get you where you want to be in this game.

9. john clime

john clime TS Member

Wolfram i shoot 16 yds most of the time,but do sign on squads for longer yardage,because I like to experiment.Will shooting a choke this tight make one a better shooter in the long run? Heck i dont have much run left.I guess another tm-1 that is opened up more is in the cards.Nice to have a backup,so thanks for all the replys.

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Shoot it like it is. I shoot .035 constriction on 16's and 27 yard. Red dot with a Downrange F-8 on 16's and Green dot with a WJ on handicap. It will force you to be precise and learn to stay that way. Your only handicapping yourself in your mind. Focus on the bird and understand that it requires perfection to book good scores. If your confidence takes a dump, send it to Briley for choke tubes.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

When you pattern a typical barrel with a more open choke you will find that the pattern has a weaker core in the center but none of those extra shot holes make it to the useful outer fringe of the pattern they are just lost.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Focus on the target and MICROWAVE it!

I enjoy and use XF for everything I shoot with the single exception of Skeet. One of my Bunker guns has a XXF (.046") choke. :^))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.