1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 yd. Hold points

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by I WON, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I WON

I WON TS Member

Where should one hold when shooting singles ?

2. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Hold points are variable, are you a one eyed or a two eyed shooters, where do you see a clear target, is the wind behind or in front of you---best advice take a clinic & learn how toadjust for various conditions---Phil

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For me, I found it depended on the weight and balance of the gun....

My 1187 12ga light contour barrels, as well as my 20ga gun, work best if I hold the muzzle on the far edge of the trap house. This is because they're a bit whippy and it's easy to get them into motion.

My 1187 trap barrel is heavier, and I hold it a fair distance above the trap house. This is because it's slower to get it into motion.

For position based on which shooting position you're at, the link posted by leadvail is what I follow.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I set my hold points a little different than many shooters. On post one, I want my gun to come up about 1 foot inside of the front left hand corner of the house. But, where my gun actually comes up is based on my stance. I take my normal stance and mount my gun. If the gun comes up at the wrong place, I change my stance. I never move the gun to the hold point I am seeking after I have mounted the gun. If my stance is correct, the gun comes up in the correct place. If my gun comes up a little off of the desired hold point, I do call for the target and change my stance a little for the next shot. I keep my feet rather close together and an inch change with one foot will result is a much larger change in the hold point.

Pat Ireland

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Watch what the wind is doing to the targets. A gusty, incoming wind will lift the targets. A strong wind from behind will hold them down. Traps are set before a shoot but wind conditions may change.

I tend to follow the Remington advice mentioned by leadvail, which come from the D. Lee Braun book, Trapshooting With The Remington Pros.

If the targets are low, I hold just over the edge of the trap house. If the targets are high, I hold according to the Remington advice.

Everybody has to find out what works for him or her. On gusty, windy days, some targets can really take off or drop like a rock after traveling a few yards out of the house. I pick up my timing in the wind.

Also, each trap may be different. Keep your eyes on the targets.

6. I WON

I WON TS Member

Thanks, I'll try what has been suggested.

7. washandwear

washandwear Member

My hold points are on the front edge of the house and depend on where the target exits the house. Traps are not all in the same place under the roof. Some hard lefts will be visible at the left edge or sometimes inside the corner a foot or more. Hard rights may come out below the right top edge of the house on some fields. I hold on one where the hard left and hold on 5 where the hard right first appear exiting the house. Holding on 2, 3, and 4 depend again on where the target exits the house. I hold on 2 and 4 where the quarter angle exits the house and on 3 where the straitaway exits the house. Since I hold on the front edge I don't have to be concerned about blocking the target exiting the house. Soft focus. Don't move the gun until you see a whole target. The above may explain why I shoot so poorly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

16 yd trap best set point