1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

@ 16 Yards

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jack L. Smith, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

May 2009 issue of Trap & Field, pages 38 through 41 show an equipment summary of many ATA All Americans. Choke information is included, plus a whole lot more.

JS

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Personally, I could care less what the big dogs use for singles. Take your gun, your favorite load, put a choke in & pattern @ 32 -35 yds. Shoot at least 5 shots, change chokes until you find one that puts 80% + of its payload into the 30 inch circle with good distribution. If the choke manufacture has labeled that choke "full", fine, it it's labeled IM, that's also fine.

No one shoots just like you do & not all chokes will deliver the pattern you need.
    It takes time to sort out all the details of choke but it's worth it to you in improved scores.

3. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

Leo Harrison has been quoted many times stating " You can use any choke so long as it is a full choke"

George Ware

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many of the All Americans use the same choke for singles and handicap. It is typically a full or a near full choke. I have a set of tubes, but I never change my choke tube. I also believe that one should use the same choke for practice as he uses for registered shoots. I want to practice with the same equipment I use for real. A more open choke does not really increase the pattern size significantly. It simply moves some shot from the center to the fringe.

Pat Ireland

5. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

I found this chart on a web search.

For sake of this discussion, the difference between the SIZE of a 12ga pattern at 40 Yards between a FULL & MOD choke is only 6 inches, which is just 3 inches on either side of dead center

Choke Pattern Diameter

Approximate Pattern Diameter (Inches)

Choke/Yards....... 10Y 20Y 25Y 30Y 40Y

Spreader............... 23 ...37 ... 44... 51... 66

Cylinder................. 20... 32... 38... 44... 57

Iprv Cyl................. 15... 26... 32... 38... 51

Modified............... 12... 20... 26... 32... 46

Full.......................... 9... 16... 21... 26... 40

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Smok'n Joe- A pattern with more shot in the fringe and less in the center will have a greater chance of breaking a bird that is in the fringe area. But, it will also make it more difficult to know if you hit the bird with the pattern fringe or in the center. When I start to get weak hits with my tight choke, I know I am doing something wrong and I need to change something change before a lost bird is scored.

Pat Ireland

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Choke for smoke...

8. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

Not All chokes are the same either. I bought a light-full Briley that is smaller than an off brand full I have. I would measure them all before you make your mind up.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ah... the great part of using a "fixed" full choke, is that if I have confidence in the gun, its one less thing to distract me on the line.

Throw in the tightest choke you have and break all the birds. Steep learning curve, but you have a lifetime to master the sport...

regards,

jay

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

As mentioned above.....I took a clinic from Leo Harrison one time. He stated, "on choke selection, I don't care what choke it is, as long as the word FULL is in it. Light Full, Full, Extra Full."

11. shootsome

shootsome Member

On 16's I've used Mod, Improved Mod, and Full chokes. Full (.030 - .035) works best for me.

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If you can point a gun like Leo then use a full. If you point a gun like the majority then between a Mod and full. We need all the help we can get. Put it on paper.

Don

13. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I am not a expert but works for me out of my gun is a Briley IM at the 16 and a Briely F for handicap.

I have a FC OU barrel for doubles that works good. Choked Full over IM.

Ronbo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

16 yards