1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 yard Station 5

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MW58, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MW58

MW58 Member

I'm left handed with left eye dominance, having lots of trouble with hard right targets at station 5. My question is where is the best hold point? I've held over the house, I've held right of the house, I've held high/right of the house. Part of my problem is I cant see where I'm missing. I dont know if I'm shooting over the top or if I'm shooting behind. I do break some targets at station 5, I just cant break them consistently. Any help?

2. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Try holding at the top edge of the house at the right corner. Make sure your stance allows you to swing past the target on a hard right; your left foot should be only a couple of inches behind your right foot.

See if you can have the house set for hard rights only, for practice.

Regards, and good luck

Dave

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Also make sure that you are not pulling the gun away from your cheek ... many right handers have that same problem on Post1.

4. Trent

Trent TS Member

I shoot left handed and had the same problem. For me, I didn't see the hard right targets well so I started holding on the top of the house about a foot left of the right corner. __________._ (how is that for artwork). If I held a high gun, I had a tendency to rainbow over to the target with undesirable results. I hold a level gun on all other posts. Also, add another vote for foot position....very important, especially on 1&5 for me.

5. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I had the same problem from post one for 15 long years.

1. Make sure your gun is perfectly still and so are your eyes.

2. After viewing Leo III CD's, being right handed and highgun two eyed shooter, I move gun to post 2 hold half way between left corner and center. My eyes are to the left near corner.

3. Don't rush making sure your face stays glued to the stock and keep your face upright so you can see well.

4. You might try doing this in reverse for post 5. Pete McCall also helped me on post 5 by moving my to center of the house.

Charlie

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

That's unusual for a LH-er because you would be pushing the gun into your face. I'm RH-ed but hold points shouldn't too different (just opposite) will try to reverse my hold points, for you LH-ed about a foot and a half to two feet right of center, gun just below level (experiment a little) take an extra 1\2 second to be sure of your sight picture, then call,-- force yourself not to move until the target clears your bbl. and you see it clearly, then swing through and fire. For me this stops the panic stab that occurs when I see the tgt. too soon or too late. Remember the straight away is getting away from you much faster than an angle so you have more time to catch the angle plus you have the "small" advantage of the length of the shot string working for you. There's a lot more space behind the tgt. than there is in front. GRIN Don't ask how I learned this.

Try to get a good shooter to watch you and see if they can tell you where your shot string is in relation to the tgt.

dave-320c has a good suggestion about locking the trap on rights. Good Luck Ross Puls

7. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

Make sure you have your foot position correct for post 5 this cab make a big difference.

8. brett44

brett44 Member

I've seen a lot of discussion on foot position, hold points and where to look for hard angles but very little on swing technique for hard angles. How do most swing to the target. For example, do you swing through the target, try to establish a sustained lead, or move to a point in front of the bird. Also, do you see the same lead for hard rights vs. hard lefts.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The key is your hold point. You need a hold point where your left eye sees the bird before your right eye sees it. Hold a couple feet to the right of the front corner of the right side of the trap house. This hold point allows the gun to block the vision of your non dominant eye. HMB

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If you shoot under the lights at night,the shot can be seen by someone behind you. They should be able to tell you what you are doing wrong.
    Clyde

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

MW58... Are you a one eye shooter, or a two eyed shooter? This will make a DEFINATE difference on where you hold your gun. I'm a two eyed shooter, also left handed, so this pertains to two eyed shooters. On post 5, as mentioned above, your foot position on that post, and your hold point, are equally important. If BOTH aren't right, all the time, you will always struggle with this post. I can only tell you what works for me. My gun hold is just inside the right corner of the house about a foot, and about a foot high for singles, and about 6" high for handicap (27yds). This allows me to pick up the target clearly. As for my foot position, both my feet are parallel to the line on that post. Your foot position must allow you to "unwind" as you swing in to the target without binding up your swing. The easiest way to understand this is to mount your gun while standing on the #5 pad and point your gun to the spot where you would like to break the target, and are comfortable with the stance. Now, without moving your feet, bring the hold point to approximately 12" inside the right corner. Now you should feel a little like a spring wound up to the left. When you call for the target, you will feel your stance "unwind" smoothly into that right hand target. It may take a little practice, but, once you have mastered the foot position and proper hold point, you should be able to break those targets just as well as any other on the field.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Shoulders and feet should be parallel..no twisting. Gun 45 deg across body. One eye shooters should hold much closer to center of house on all post. If you mount closer to center you will have good gun momentum to catch and pass thru hard rights or lefts. Try holding about 1 ft over the house--- eyes just over the bead. Don't look under the barrel. Get gun/eye still and call....SMOKIT

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The guys who say hold closer to the center have it right. On Stations 1 & 2 everything is on the left side or 8 o'clock on stations 4 &5 everything is on the right side 4 o'clock--makes things real simple.

Phil Berkowitz

14. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

"One eye shooters should hold much closer to center of house on all post." I'm a one-eyed shooter and I say NO WAY to that comment!!

What works for me is on Post:

#1..just outside the left corner and a 1/4 way down from the top of the roof....

#2 just at the roof line 1/3 of the way toward center from the outside corner....

#3 just at the roof line dead center....

#4just at the roof line 1/3 of the way toward center from the outside corner

#5 outside corner 1/4 of the way down from the roof line.

Those positions have the gun starting in the center (or very near) of target angles from those posts.

trap2 is correct on foot position and unwinding your body on 1 and 5. Still need to concentrate on keeping your head on the stock and eye on the target. You shouldn't see any lead when shooting or your bead checking which normally means your stopping the gun and shooting behind the target

Just my opinion, Bill

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I would check your gun fit, this is usually a problem of shooting a trapgun with too long of a stock for you.

Typically if you wear a large shirt with sleeve length of 33-34 inch you will best shoot a stock with a 14" Inch LOP.

Even a medium shirt w/33-34 length sleeve length you will shoot a 14"Inch LOP the best.

This is what I have found out over 44 years of shooting trap.

I personally shoot a 14" Inch LOP stock the best, The very first thing I do with a new gun is check the LOP, then put a pad that gets me 14"LOP or cut the stock to Zero Pitch to get 14"Inch LOP

All my TRAPGUNS are cut to Zero Pitch and have 14"Inch LOP

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

I bet a box of chemical tracers might show you something.

Todd

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Will target speed be the same, also tracers will not be in the center of pattern most of the time they will be flyers.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.