1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 yard reloads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by torqueman, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torqueman

torqueman Member

what are some good 1oz reloads for 16yard singles useing rem hulls?
    THANKS JOE

2. dhip

dhip Active Member

18.5 grn dot,tgt12 wads

Doug H.

3. Old Lady Shooter

Old Lady Shooter TS Member

I use STS hulls with Rem. 209P primer, 19 grain of Hodgdon Clays, TGT12 wad, and 1 oz. of 7 1/2 or 8 lead. Makes a nice load at about 1250 fps. I sometimes load Windjammer wads and then you have to use more powder, 20 grains, to get the same speed. I use the Clays powder because is leaves my barrel cleaner then most other powders.. I'd rather spend my time shooting, not cleaning.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Joe, That best advice I can give a new shooter is that its the lead that breaks targets so use the best shot you can find in your area. Now with a Remington hull I would use a fig. 8 clone or a Win. AA clone wad (for one oz loads). You can get Claybuster, downrange, or Duster wads all three will work very well for you. Now with powder you can use cheap Alliants Promo or cleaner powders like Alliant's Red Dot, Green Dot, Claydot. And Hodgdon's Clays. I like Hodgdon's Clays. Its great powder but not made in the USA is only problem. Primers are a toss up as what to use. If you shoot in cold climates during the winter I say use one of the big three, Rem, Win. or (Federal most used). If weather is not a problem alot of shooters like to use Cheddite's which are cheap but may be pierced by some firing pins on some guns. If you try reloading these start with a couple of hundred to see if you get any piercings before you buy alot. You can burn the end of your firing pin if it does and you don't want to have to replace them. Or the other cheap primer is Nobel Sport. Once you use the Nobel Sport primers you will have to use nothing but that primer in those hulls until you throw them away as they are slightly larger in diameter and will enlarge the primer pocket in the hull so that the big three US primers will fall out. Most of all the different possible loads are so that you can use whatever that is handy and close and cheap for you to buy locally. Keep your speeds as close to ll50 fps for singles and slightly higher for handicap if you like. This is not really needed until you get off the 21 yard line. After time goes by you may want to try different powders, wad, primers or what have you to try to get a better score. You will then find out after many, many, many different combo's that the only that works is by placing the barrel in the proper place when you pull the trigger. Good Luck and use whatever you can find locally. Break-em all. Jeff

Thanks Quack Shot!!! He's right keep loads under 10,000 psi. No reason to go higher. The TGT 12 is a fig. 8 wad and WAA12SL is the Win. AA wad. Both are for one oz. Alliantpowder.com is the powder website for Alliant. and Hodgdon.com is the website for Hogdon powders. Alot of reloaders like to use the same brand primer in the same brand hull, but its not a big deal and they will all still go off. Find what components you can in your area and get the load and speed you want by looking up your own loads. Be Safe and use a scale to verify your powder drops and go for it. Break-em all. JEff

5. njuliano

njuliano Member

Joe - I have been using Remington hulls (STS, etc..), 1 oz shot, 17gr. Promo, Remington TGT12S WAD and Rem 209P primer. This will get you around (1145 fps). Makes for a low recoil nice 16 yard load. This recipe is listed under the Alliant's site. Good Luck.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Start with a Remington Hull, try some TGT12 wads or clones, select a powder to fit the load, primer, velocity and charge weight from published data and have at it. Try to keep your pressures under 10,000 PSI Weigh your powder drops and don't substitute components unless you have data to support it.

When in doubt, call the powder manufacturer and get their take on it.

7. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Torqueman I use 8 Shot Remington Target-12 wad Remington Hull Remington 209P Primer Hogdon Titegroup Powder 16.6 - 16.8 Grains around 1200 -1210 FPS They pattern very well out of my barrel and I have broken them hard Lowery targets with them so that's good enough for me. They don't hardly have any noticable recoil to worry about. PAT.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I use the same load as Old Lady Shooter only the book says 18.8 gr. of clays is 1235 fps at 9,200 psi.

Great load and with low recoil and smashes the target.

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

WAA12SL or clone, 16.5gr 700X, Rem 209P primer

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

For light load or "cheap practice". I load the same as APrice for 1 oz. The DR XL-1 works well too. Either AA or STS, GC, Peters hulls.

All over Win 209's.

Don Verna

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

17GR. Claydot, Downrange Jammer XL, 1oz of 8 1/2's, Fiocchi 616 primer, approx. 1175fps.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

16.8 grn Claydot, WAA12SL or DR XL-1 wad, Winchester or Federal 209A primer in a Gun Club hull OR change to a CCI primer and a TGT-12 or DRRT-12 wad.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best 16 yard trap reload

trapshooters best load for 16 yards