1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 Yard Choke

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Browning Man, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

What do you think is the best 16 yard choke?

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The best could beat most with any choke, Read the "Ask the all Americans" article in Trap in field, they list their guns and chokes ect...

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

try a cylinder choke and report back..

bill

4. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

Well I did just that, used a cyl choke that I shoot skeet with. Loaded up some special loads 1 1/2 ounces of numba 9 shot at about 1100. Worked just fine on targets until the head pounding started. No I don't recommend it. Just use a full choke like 90 percent of shooters, you will learn quicker and better.

5. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

I copied this from a recent thread about chokes. I agree with Pat a 100% on this....

P.S. Pat if you read this you have a PM from me...

"The size of a pattern shot from a full choke will be about the same size as a pattern shot from a modified choke. An open choke does not significantly increase the effective pattern size, it simply moves shot from the inner core to the outer edges.
    For me, the best choke to use at the 16 yard line is the one that does the best job from the 27 yard line.
    Many shooters spend much time thinking about the best load and choke and little time about seeing the target well and keeping into the gun. The choke/load could make a difference of around 1 bird for every 300 targets. Seeing the bird and keeping into the gun can easily make a 20 bird difference for every 100 targets.
    Several years ago at the Grand in Vandalia, I was picking up my shells with Leo H. I requested 4 boxes of Winchester, 1 1/8 oz #8. When Leo was asked what shell he wanted, he said I don't care, just give me 4 boxes of something. I do not remember if I beat Leo that day, but I do have a pretty good guess.
    Pat Ireland "

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I prefer Briley spectrum IM out of my XT. We have a young shooter who comes down with his 870 defender model, short barrel fixed cyl choke, pistol grip skeltonized stock pistol grip forend, does very good for how much he shoots, allways uses Rem game loads 1oz 1290fps. He shoots high teens.

7. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I us a Briley IM in my BT-99

8. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

The choke that patterns best in your gun at your effective yardage. That is the choke you use. I just mic tested a whole set of factory beretta optima chokes yesterday. All were mislabeled. Skeet was Cyl, IC was skeet, mod was IC and so forth. Pattern test everything. Todd

9. IM390

IM390 Member

I shoot IM with red dot and IC with green dot. I've shoot 25's with both

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I took a clinic from Leo 3 weeks ago. He said he wasn't picky on chokes, as long as the word FULL was in it!

Matt

11. magnaguy

magnaguy TS Member

I'm a pretty new shooter. I've got an old Rem 1100 with a MOD barrell and a FULL barrel. I started trying to shoot the MOD. Decided to switch to the FULL and my scores improved a lot. I don't know how much was the choke and how much was just learning better technique but it sure is a lot more fun to see smoke than a couple of broken pieces!

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Learn to read the breaks using a full choke and you scores will go up. HMB

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It is very simple "go pattern the damn gun" and use the best one. Some of you try to make rocket science out of this. There are now 2 threads going about the same upper level advice.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.