1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 yard choke?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mahrbeezer, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

I wanna here some opinions on choke size for 16 yards. Full, light full or imp mod???

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Whatever breaks targets for you...

I have an IM in my bottom barrel but only because I have the Full in the top barrel and my Mod doesn't shoot straight.

Morgan

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The ones you mentioned will be fine - but don't trust the markings. You need 0.025 choke (difference in measurement between the larger bore and smaller choke.) If you use full you generally don't have to measure.

Neil

4. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I use X-full in my bt-99 pluss with 7/8oz loads,but you have to use what works for you !

5. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

Improved Mod. breaks them good for me and occasionally smokes them. I break targets sometimes when i know i wasn't on them. I think this is the perfect choke for 16 on my gun. I tried full a few rounds and it does smoke them better but i believe its less forgiving. Whether it smokes or just breaks in half, 25 is twenty five.

6. J.D. Squire

J.D. Squire Member

they all look like smoke on the paper!hahah

J.D.

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I don't have a choice - gun is fixed .035 - choke size will not hold you back or promote you to AA. Only you have the power to do either one of those.

8. bigben1

bigben1 TS Member

People are always talking about constriction size, but what is the ideal "pattern" size at 35 yds. for 16 yd? My Brily extended, ported .025 is more open than my Kolar .025, same goes for the .030. Bigben1

9. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I shoot a Briley Light Full (.030) for singles. When I do my job, it smokeballs targets, so that's tight enough for me.

~Michael

10. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

turkey choke in 687II.go for the SMOKE

11. nipper

nipper TS Member

i use skeet chokes from the 16 yard line

Bill

12. Neil Winston

What's your average, Nip? I know you shoot one ounce of shot, and have said you shot 50 trap targets with skeet chokes and they broke just fine, but will that kind of choke, with that amount of shot, hold up for the 100 targets of an ATA event? That is, can you post a competitive score with it?

Neil

13. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I don't think we can blame our choke tubes for our loss of mental focus.
    I also choke for smoke, and for me that means a Modified tube for 16yd back to the 20yd line. It smokes 'em just fine.
    I've also shot with an IC tube at the 16 and, while it didn't produce at lot of smoke balls, it did give solid breaks when I was on them.
    By the way, anyone who believes they can tell you where you hit them by how the pieces fly should take a look at a patterning board. Patterns can have thin areas and dense areas located anywhere in the pattern....and targets spin, so pieces can fly off at a 90 degree angle from where they originated. There are too many variables to be able to use pieces to tell where in the pattern the bird was struck.

14. nipper

nipper TS Member

I only started this sport the first part of this year and have not shot any registered targets so i dont have an average you can check.

Bill

15. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

years ago i was talking to an all american shooter. asked him what choke he thought was ideal for 16 yard shooting? He said he used 28 thousands for 16 yard. I asked him about handicap shooting too, he said for 27 yard shooters, he recommends the tighest choke he could find. i also asked him about shot size, he said hard 8's for 16 yard, and hard 7 1/2's for 27 yard handicap. i asked him why 7 1/2's for 27 yard handicap? he said because the rules will not allow him to use a bigger shot size.
    steve balistreri

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Lt. Mod or Mod.

Practice with a full choke.

Curt

17. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

As for not being able to read breaks... BS. Once you've shot a enough targets you know when you made a bad shot the second you pull the trigger. You know the sight picture wasn't just right, and you know where you were off at. And the break will always confirm what you already knew. If you were behind an angle, you're not going to see a small peice come off the nose and fly in front of the target, it's going to come of the back. And if you were a little to the left of a straight away, a small peice will be going to the left, not the right.

Once a target is hit, I would bet most of its spin stops and if there are any peices they are carried on by momentum, not spin.

~Michael

18. Neil Winston

Michael, though I've seen what you talk about happen, it seems to me that it fails to happen about as often. He's what I'd like to see. If you can tell from the break where you were shooting, you should be able to shoot there and produce a predicted break. So that would be the challenge. In ten shots, could you (or anyone) "push a bird down" as it seems to happen sometimes a good percentage of the time? With no instances of "pushing the bird up?"

Neil

19. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Sorry Neil, I can't make the same bad shot with the fringe of my pattern 10 times in a row to test your idea. ;-)

BTW, I've been meaning to ask, any results on the 7/8 oz tests you were going to run this winter? I'm looking forward to your findings, though unfortunately I don't expect them to bring the ATA any closer to lowering our max shot charge.

~Michael

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Michael - It is possible to shoot behind a right hand target and the right fringe of the pattern chip off a piece from the front of the target.

Neil- I can shoot under 10 targets in a row, not hit or chip any of them and the targets would fall.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.