1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 yard average yearly or 1000 targets?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

What are 16 yard averages based on yearly or 1000 targets?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which average you are referring to. If you mean the one on the ATA site, its your yearly average to date. If you mean on your average card its averaged after every event.---Matt

3. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Average for the entire target year-to-date.

4. smsnyder

example 55'72'80'71'83'80'76'84'86'89'81'86'72'81'77'91'90'90'91'95'92'89'94 What class? Eight months. Some will say B and some will say D?

5. grntitan

"D" class but some shoots will look at your last (8) scores and see progress and classify you as high as "B" class. Its not the right way but its done all the time.

6. grntitan

You simply add your scores and divide by the number of scores and thats your average. It depends also on how many classes a particular shoot uses. Some only go with 4 classes.

7. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Not this again!

Your post is confusing averages with classification.

It's very clear how to calculate an ATA average. It all targets shot in the current target year. New target year, new average.

The process of getting classifed at a shoot uses your average as one variable in determining your classification.

To answer your last question - what class - it depends on who is doing the classification.

Scott

8. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Matt -

How is using recent scores not the right way?

Scott

9. grntitan

I didn't mean it was not the right way, "I" don't feel it is right. It is known ability. I know the ropes just don't always agree with them.

10. grntitan

Scott i kinda feel the "known ability" and average system kinda contradict themselves at times. Certainly there are shooters who cheat the system with sandbagging and this helps or tries to weed them out in a way.---Matt

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

ATA is average for the target year; PITA is average for the last 1000 targets spanning over target years if necessary.

12. smsnyder

It depends who is doing the classification. What kind of rule is that? Let's say I am a D class shooter with a yearly average of 88. Now I go out and shoot a 197 in a singles event but my average is still around 88. What class now?

13. grntitan

Well what he means is some will instantly look at your last scores and judge your recent improvement as "Known Ability" and bump you up. Others will look more at the whole picture and class you purely on your average. Known Ability is in the rule book. It depends who is working the classification.---Matt

14. smsnyder

Known ability does not work. If so all D class shooters who shot 97'98'99 at the Cardinal Center would have been moved up in class. . Can you tell me a person who shoots a 197 is not known ability ? Under the current rules he can stay in D as long as his average is D. This happens more than you think.

15. grntitan

smsnyder---I'm not trying to be an ass but you need to read the Rule Book. I don't make them nor enforce them. I just go by what i agreed to when i joined the ATA. Rules are rules and they are there for all to read. Trust me buddy i've shot "AA" before when i thought i was "C". If you shoot a 197/200 it shows me Known Ability. That means you have the ability to shoot well beyond "D" class. Its the rules.---Matt

16. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

As a sport where everyone seems to talk about sandbaggers its up to each individual to police themselves first. My yearly average is B class, but my last 1000 puts me in A, so thats where I go. Hard to judge a D class shooter who has put up some impressive scores in his last 500 targets and still shoots D if you're not doing a self check and bumping yourself if its called for. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

17. grntitan

One events scores does not give known ability. The last 5 or 6 scores of yours shows known ability.---Matt

18. smsnyder

The rule book does not say a 197 score in D class is known ability. Is it or is it not? The fact is a shooter can stay in D class even though he shot a 197 in 16 yard event. I see something wrong with that picture . The same thing happens in other classes as well.

19. grntitan

Your correct, (1) good score i.e. a 197/200 does not justify Known Ability use. If that shooter in turn continues a string of good shooting (as you did your last 500 birds) then known ability can and should be used. That is how Known Ability works. As for the 98,99.100 scores you speak of at the CC. We have to know what theit last 500 or so scores were.---Matt

20. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

This is where the people doing classification and the shooter themself has to step up. I've never won a singles event, and my last couple shoots by bumping myself up I took myself out of winning some B class trophies, but feel good in the fact that I'm doing the right thing. Also gained the respect of people that I don't really know. In reality the trapshooting community is small and no matter where you go someone will know you or about you. I would rather never win and have the respect of my fellow shooters than win and be called a sandbagger. Averages go up and down, but once your reputation goes down it almost never comes up. Just a little food for thought. Do the right thing in your mind. If you look at it as you need to break em' all to win then theres no difference between AAA and D. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to average singles targets on number of targets