1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 yard/ 27 yard

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TEXASBEN, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TEXASBEN

TEXASBEN Member

What works for me is to set the gun up for Handicap then learn to shoot is at singles. I use to set the comb for single or handicap,do not anymore just leave it set for handicap. Just my two cents worth. I feel the less varabiles you have to deal with the more you will focus on the task at hand(DB-81 combo 30/34 not tubed)

Ben Dobson

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am a one eyed shooter and hold a low gun for everything. For singles and doubles I am a little below the trap house roof. For handicap, I hold around the back edge of the roof. When I hold a lower gun, I shoot the targets faster. I realize this is counter intuitive but that is what happens as I lower my set up point. When I hold a higher gun, I am much slower moving to the target.

Pat Ireland

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Your questions are hard to answer because everyone moves toward targets differently and one-eyed and two-eyed shooters will have to hold at different points. Also, some shooters employ different points for singles and handicap. Phil Kiner really gets into this in his clinics.

Ed

4. TEXASBEN

TEXASBEN Member

My set up shoots 100% high at 30 yards on all barrels, on singles I hold about two feet over the front edge of the roof and on handicap about 6 inches above the front edge. On low target presintation as when the wind is out of the south I may be below the front edge by 6 inches. I am not saying that this is correct, only that it works for me wnen I focuse on the task at hand. Hope this answer helps you

Ben Dobson

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ben... Please let me know how did you get your DB-81 to shoot 100% high? The factory stock DB-81 guns are notorious for being flat shooters. I have a 34/32" set, and the highest I can get it to shoot is about 80%. Short of bending the barrels, or having extensive choke work done, I don't see how you could get it to 100%. I would understand if you had choke tubes, but, with a fixed choke barrel like mine, I just can't get it there..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. TEXASBEN

TEXASBEN Member

Dan,

I bought my DB from Don Rackley after my MX3 combo was stolen about 10 years ago. Don had Wilkerson work both barrels over. Back bored and choked, the top single is .033 on a .735 bore.

The top single was set up for Winchester super handicap I was told. The stock was made for Don at the Grand by Perizza and it is not a standard style. It is off set and twisted is the best way I can describe it.

It has shoot great for me and will shoot a pattern high at 30 yards on the pattern board. For some reason it shoote about an 6"-8" lower pattern with Nitro 27.

Ben Dobson

7. butcher

butcher Member

I used to be able to hold a high gun but being older now holding down a little lower on the front edge of the trap house allows me to get on the targets better and faster. I think Pat Ireland must be an old fart too.
    If you are smashing the tagets with a 60/40 poi why change anything?

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

charger- I can assure you that I am quite immature for my age.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

27 yard trap gun set up