1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 Gauge Skeet

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by larryjk, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryjk

larryjk Member

I know this is a trap site but I have a question about skeet that someone can have the right answer. There must have been a time when the 16 gauge was part of the skeet shooting game. There were skeet grade model 12 Winchesters in 16 gauge and boxes of shells in 16 gauge marked skeet shells. When did the 16 gauge drop out of the system and prior to that time, was skeet shot with 12,16,20,28, and .410?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

i don't believe there was ever a 16ga event in registered skeet. I've never seen any records available that would have been set for this event (long run, high average, world records, world shoot scores, ect). My guess is some used 16ga in the 12ga event, as some use the 20ga in the 12ga today. As far as their being skeet grade Win mod 12s in 16ga, that doesn't really provide any benchmark as their are trap grade model 42s out there as well.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Winchester made a Model 21 in "Tournament Duck".

The 16 was and is among the best for the field. It will perform Clay Target chores well.

There was never a registered 16 ga event in Skeet.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

16 gauge Skeet guns were usually used by women and slight of stature people. Also the 16 was much more popular early on. Most WS-2 Winchester chokes on Model-12's are 16ga. Jeff

5. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Early Skeet shooting events were "All Bore" Events you could shoot any gauge less than 12 but you would be competing without a handycap.

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

All bore was 12 and less. Jeff

7. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Thanks Jeff! That is what I ment.

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I've seen 16 gauge Model 12s marked skeet. I was told about a 16 gauge Model 21 Skeet that was owned by one of the old timers at the club way back when. I may have seen it. It's too long ago to remember for sure. And I've seen 16 gauge ammo marked "SKEET".

I don't believe skeet ever has a separate 16 gauge event. Now factor in that for many years what we now call the 12 gauge event in skeet was call the "All Bore Event". I just always figured those 16 gauges were used in the All Bore Event. All Bore was the big event back then.

As an aside, even when I started, some still used their .410s in the Small Bore Event (3/4 ounce max).

9. larryjk

larryjk Member

Thanks Guys, I didn't know because where I grew up we didn't have access to skeet ranges. I shoot some now, including with the 16 gauge, but with a modified choke. I do fine because that gun is balanced so well.

10. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I have an all original M12 milled rib trap w/ a full choke that is marked skeet. Which only goes to prove that what a M12 is marked does not mean beans.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jeff has it right the Model 12 in 16 gauge skeet is a rare gun and it was marketed as an option for women

I have one

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Many fellows nowadays shoot 16 ga in skeet and trap. I have mod 12, 16's in both trap and skeet. I have never felt hindered on the trap range with the 16. Although I shoot a 101 as much in trap, I can't say I do any better with a 12 ga. B12

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The gunmakers tried to kill the 16 for economic reasons. However, the 20 ga Magnum, which was supposed to replace it, didn't.

The 16, on its own frame, is among the very best of all the field guns. When I think of a field gun, it is a true field double, with twin triggers and extractors, in 16 ga, and on a 16 ga frame.

A poster mentioned the handling qualities of his 16.

The fact that Perazzi makes a 16 ga gun should be evidence of its following.

This orphaned round is making a well deserved comeback, in new guns set up for it.

14. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

"16 gauge Skeet guns were usually used by women and slight of stature people. Also the 16 was much more popular early on. Most WS-2 Winchester chokes on Model-12's are 16ga. Jeff "

I'm 6'3" and 300 lbs. I shoot a 16 in the field because it's light, kills well, and swings fast and smooth.

15. Urbans

Urbans Member

I am interested in a nice Model 12 16 ga. 26" skeet with solid rib and in good condition. Thank you. E-mail address is frei454@aol.com

16. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

WTB 16 gauge sxs. Will consider either skeet or field as long as it has a straight grip and splinter. Not interested in grossly over priced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

16 ga skeet shoot

16 ga skeeter

skeet shooting with a 16ga shotgun