1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 gauge marketing

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

It looks like the marketing gurus are pitching 16 gauges now. If you've ever wanted one, this is the best time to wait two years to buy one. There should be a bunch of them on the used market then after people have had some time to regret their purchases.

This sort of thing happens in handgunning too. A few years ago there was a push to sell 41 magnums, so about a year ago there were a lot of 41s on the used market.

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Must be a good gauge! Most of the rest of the world prefers it!

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Great gauge.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have been doing the shooting thing a long time. I have always thought that when the 16 is put in a gun in its own frame size, it was the BEST field and upland gun. PERIOD. A true field double with extractors and double triggers comes to mind.

One ounce at 1220-1250 will do the job, patterns better than the 20, carries easier than a 12.

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Kolar on the trap range, 16ga. Parker SXS in the field. Can't get much better than that.

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

The 16 is the best all around shotgun for about any reason. I shoot 12ga on trap most of the time, 16 ga alot on trap and seem to do just as well with it even on shootoffs. The only other I prefer to shoot for hunting and skeet is the 28 the 16's little sister. As far as I'm concerned the 20ga is overly rated. B12

7. Flench

Flench TS Member

I started shooting Trap League in 1990 with an A5 16. everyone said I was at a disadantege because I couldn't shoot as heavy a load as the 12 could. I reloaded a heavy 1 1/8 field load and still could shoot 25's. About a year later I bought a Citori in 16 and still did good with it until I quit in 92.

Jump ahead to to 04 I started shooting Trap again and joined the ATA. My 16 Citori helped get me a couple punches. I would still be shooting a 16 today if when I started shooting again the Grand sold 16ga shells.

Doyal Kirby

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Around here in Virginia there are no longer any wild birds to speak of and the preserve birds can be killed with a 410 or a 28 ga if you like overkill.

My "Texas" bird gun is a 28" Model 12 16 ga with Briley thinwalls and 1 oz reloads in the old Winchester AA-type hulls and WSF powder. Its hard to beat for all around western "pattridge" hunting. The field wood has been replaced with skeet wood which fits and looks a little nicer.

I still have my father's Remington Model 11 Sportsman 16 ga with a Cutts. I'm sure my house couldn't hold all the birds killed with that gun. Those 2 would be the last guns I'd ever get rid of.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Guns built around the 16 guage like Doyle's sweet 16 are in a class by themselves when it comes to upland bird hunting. Unfortunately most of the new 16 guage guns are built on 12 guage frames so there isn't a real advantage for them. I think Questor is right about the probable outcome of the current marketing ploy for the 16. People like the versatility of the 12 so much that a 16 gauge revival is unlikely. Tomorrow I am headed up to ND for some late season rooster hunting, my gun of choice is a vintage M37 Ithaca 16 gauge.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

wolfram

I have exactly the same gun!

Mine is a 1952 model, no rib, and very little bluing on the top of the barrel. Nice gun-gray patina.

Good luck on your pheasant hunt. Shoot em' in the lips!

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Tim that is in fact the same year my 37 was manufactured. I wanted to get an extra bbl for it so I could shoot the gun with more open chokes but at that time Ithaca said that would require factory fitting. Evidently the early receivers were a bit peculiar.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What it is, is that each barrel was hand-fitted to the receiver. No two are exactly alike, and you may or may not get the right fit unless it is hand fitted.

Yeah, I looked into it too a few years ago. I wanted a barrel with a rib and choke tubes, but Ithaca wants a bunch of money to do this. More than I paid for the gun.

I've come to the conclusion that with no rib and a modified choke, it kills pheasants just fine as-is.

13. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I have a couple of Fox Sterlingworths in 16 gauge. Wonderful guns. Nothing better for wild upland birds. The gauge may never again be popular but they are beautiful things. Jake

14. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Remington 31 16ga- great upland gun.

15. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Ithaca Model 37 in 16 gauge. A real Pheasant rifle for sure!!!! I have a 1941 Model 12 in 16 and it shoots like a dream. bill

16. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Early model Remington 870, Two Sweet 16's, Remington 11-48, and four Citori's (various grades) all in 16 gauge. Have stocked up on Remington Game Loads at Dicks Sporting Goods (over 100 flats) and about 30 flats of hunting loads all in 16 gauge. I will be shooting 16 gauges for a little while.

17. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

guys to let you know Downrange is coming out with a 16ga wad in 2008 it will be the 1 oz load so get looking for a MEC 9000 rick

18. vdt

vdt Active Member

Haskins Bill i have a win model 12-16 it to is a 1941 drop me a line be nice to see how close there numbers are....vdt

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

16 gauge went out with the model 97 Winchester, and 4 gauge market muli-barrel guns. Get over it. Even the Skeeters only shoot 4 gauges.

20. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I really don't care what skeeters shoot (they shoot 9 pound + 28 and .410's; now that is real world). I enjoy using the 16 gauges on skeet and sporting clays (to get ready for hunting season). The 16 gauge guns are definitely some of the best balanced and best proportioned guns to carry in several models (Model 12's, Sweet 16 A5's, early Remington 870 16's, etc.). Everyone shoot what they like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.