1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 Gauge for Trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sammie, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammie

sammie TS Member

I recently posted something about my first shotgun, a 16ga, and I started to think about this: With the popularity of 3/4 and 7/8 and 1 oz loads, would it be a good time to use a 16ga for trap etc? Any drawbacks? Next question, does anyone currently use a 16 and how does it work for you? Thanks sam

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The 16 is a great upland hunting gauge.

For trap, there are numerous drawbacks.

Poor availability of shells, especially target shells.

Virtually NO "trap" configuration guns made in 16 gauge.

You could "make" a trap gun out of a 16 gauge hunting gun, but it would be light, and whippy.

I suspect, though I have nver tested, that for equivalent loads, the larger barrel of a 12 gauge would pattern better than the 16 gauge.

You're FAR better off to download a 12 gauge shell and use it in a proper trap gun than to try to make a 16 gauge gun work for trap.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

i use 16ga alot will shoot as good as 12ga have a fox sxs the full will get em at the 27yd modified wont maybe 10 breaks no ink balls Sweet 16 Browning does good with a full not too good with mod nice thing Downrange is coming out with a wad soon that will help on cost as tim said already got a Mec9000 ready to go rick

4. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I used to have a 16 ga. model 12. (wish I still had it) It had a 28" barrel. I had briley choke tubes installed added some weight in the mag tube, a monte carlo stock and it was a great trap gun. Got all my reloading components from Ballistic Products. I shot 7/8 oz loads. Mike.

5. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I still shoot 16ga. mod 12 quite often on trap. Does just fine on shootoffs also.

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Why not? The europeans have been doing it for longer than we've been using 12 gauges.....especially in live bird competition and general bird hunting!

7. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

As long as you do your part, the 16 will do the same. As far as hunting loads, if you look around you can still find the 1 1/4 ounce loads in 16ga. Love the old saying "Carries like a 20, Shoots like a 12" Gotta love the 16!!!

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yet you read all the old books on shotgunning, particularly wing shooting, and the 16ga is praised as being ideal for patterning with a 1 oz load.

If one was into reloading, a 16ga might make a nice sporting clays gun. Particularly the ones built on a frame smaller than a 12ga. If it's built on a 12ga frame, you might as well get a 12ga.

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Meijer has 16 ga shells. Forget the price, but they were like 12s.

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Sammie
    Go to 16 ga Society.com you will find all the imformation you need and then some. B12

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Great resource for the 16 gauge shooters. Good memories. Europe still prefers the 16 gauge gun over the 12 gauge. Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
16 gauge trap ammo

16 gauge trap gun

16 gauge trap loads

16 gauge trap shooting
16 guage for trap
16 guage modle 12 trap shooting
light 16ga trap load