1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 gauge: coming back or dead?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Em, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Hi All,

Saw a really nice 16 ga double today, made in Germany. My question is how practical is a 16, and would those limitations override the value of the gun?

Are they coming back or still history? I see some new ammo and a few components but nothing great. Would you buy a top quality gun if it was a 16?

Would it be more expensive to use than a 28?

I want a nice double but even so I suspect that I am better off with a 12

thanks for your thoughts

ps this used gun was around $1K for Suhl made item Rohlichsomething maybe?

2. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

The 16 is all but extinct in the US. I have them and love them. Finding shells is all but impossible and components are impossible. If it is a gun you can`t live w/o for hunting go fo it. You will have to load up on ammo each time you see some. The whole experience can be sort of fun; if it is for a lot of serious shooting...forget it. You will own an orphan gun you can`t give away.

3. lc

lc TS Member

The 16 is alive and well in Europe and South America, but what Antrim said above is right. It is hard to find shells but I hunted with one for years and still miss it. The 28 Ga. is a wonderful gun to shoot and easy to find ammo.

4. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

I agree with Antrim. Not at all dead,I've bought 3 16 gauge mod 12's in the past year. If you look around you can find 1 1/4 ounce loads but you'll have to look for these. 1 1/8 ounce loads can be found without a problem, that's all most people shoot out of thier 12 gauges. The biggest difference is a 16 gauge is a whole lot lighter than the 12's (at least the mod 12's). 16's are a pleasure to shoot, at least in my experiences.

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I know a number of guys of European ancestry that shoot 16 gauge for upland game. They like the gun and many insist that they are much better than the 20 gauge. They are somewhat harder to find shells for, especially if you expect to walk into the local hardware store and buy a box. I just checked the Winchester and Federal web sites, both list 4 to 6 choices (premium and economy priced). Granted, the choices are limited, but the shells are available. Order a flat at a time and allow lots of time for them to come in, before you need them. Bill Malcolm

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I think availability of ammunition is region dependent. I can find and have stocked up on Winchester 16 gauge in the Chicago Metro Area, but in the South I find 16 gauge ammo much more plentiful.

16s are great for upland birds!

Jay

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have never had a problem getting Remington game loads in 16 gauge.

I have an Ithaca Model 37 in 16 guaae, circa 1952, and I love using it for pheasants.

8. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

IMHO, the 16ga is a long ways from dead. Each time Browning does another run of the 16ga Citori they get gobbled up in a hurry. Nice condition 16ga guns that are no longer made, M12, 21, 97 get sucked up in a hurry as do Parker, Smiths and Foxes. Ammo is readily available at Ballistic Products as are components from the same firm.

9. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Lets put it this way. Browning is releasing a 16 gauge BPS soon. The pre-paid waiting list on these is a mile long.

No, I don't think the 16 gauge is dead. In fact, I think it has a bit of a cult following that will never die.

Ammo can be found pretty much anywhere they stock a decent supply of ammo. Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Cabelas, Scheels, etc.

Reloading is not so easy because of the lack of current information out there, but its doable.

And if anyone has a 16 gauge they don't want anymore, shoot me an e-mail at the address above. I bet I can find someone who would love to have it. ;-)

10. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

SCTPdad; I don't know of anyone offhand that would have any 16 gauge stocks like the one that you are looking for. I know exactly the one that you are talking about. I bought a modified choke 16 ga m12 that was built in 1917 it has the same stock that you are talking about. I don't particularly care for that style either, but the price was right on the gun so I had to buy it anyways. I see the better ones on E-Bay every now and then, but they're kinda pricey. You can make a 12 ga stock fit with a little sanding and fitting, but they are heavier than the 16's.

Whomever;I do have an english style (straight bottom) stock with checkering that came off of a 20 ga m12, has really nice grain in the wood. Let me know if anyones interested. Stock has one small chip on the top towards the reciever that was fixed, can't really tell that it is there.

11. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I have a 16 gauge stevens 311a and love using it for squirrel hunting. I don't think finding 16ga ammo is a problem, there is just not much of a variety of different loads. In my area, all I can ever find for it are the remington game loads, and rarely federal target loads.

I think the 16ga is cheaper to use than the 28ga, I usually see 28ga ammo for about 7.00 a box, I get 16ga ammo for about 5.50 a box. The biggest problem with the 16 gauge is just that there is not much of a selection of ammo. If you are just going to use the gun for hunting, I would definately get it.

12. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Fine guage, nice guns. I will never own one. To me, not as practical as a light loaded 12 ga. ammo can be a problem. No slug, buckshot or waterfowl loads made to my memory.

Limited practicality.

Nice guage, as an upland gun it does the job, comfortable, etc. I just won't personally spring for it

13. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I just saw 16 gauge shells at walmart tonight.....Im thinking about buying my Uncles Belgium made A5 just for the heck of it. He has two barrels for it....both plain, one IC the other F. He offered it to me for $500. I think thats a steal...whatta you guys think?

Forrest

14. Ringneck

Ringneck TS Member

I don't believe this wonderfull gauge is dead at all. I shoot a Win M12 with an original polychoke usually set on IC or Mod, killed 12 sharptail and prairie chickens with 13 shots last year in the SD Fort Pierre grasslands. Shells have not been at all difficult to obtain. Usually most of the larger sport shops here in SD stock a good selection, and then put them on sale when hunting season is over.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Forrest, I'd grab that deal in less than a heartbeat!! The 16 is a dandy field and upland shotgun! Hap

16. SD duck

SD duck TS Member

A 6 lb 16ga double choked IC and F in the nearest thing to pure pheasant poisen that has ever been invented. You could disagree with me but that would make you wrong......

17. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

bruce, I'm with those that say grab the gun and enjoy it. My personal opinion is the 16b is the best gauge for upland shooting. Try Bill Hanus Birdguns for more info. You can buy premium ammo from B&P America, Kent, Gamebore, RST, and others. You can buy components to reload your own.

I'll also add that if you want to shoot clay targets with it, I'd recommend another gauge that is easier to reload for.

18. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Run, Forrest, run to pick up that Sweet sixteen!!

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Hitapair's response was very good and agreeable with me.

SD duck has the right chokes for pheasant pursuit in a double.

Forrest, run boy run and buy that gun :-}

No the 16 is not dead. Has become desireable on the collectors market where once they could be purchased at a fraction of other guages.

An appropriately scaled 16 ga is a joy to carry all day in the field and performance is not lacking!

Walmarts generally carry a Federal light field and also a heavy field load. Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Cabelas and others carry ammo. Ballistic Products has an ample supply of components and data.

20. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

The 16 ga is very well alive and expanding. As far as ammo it is very easy to get and the is a sight on the net called the Low Pressure Group especially for the 16 gauge loading with all the imformation you need.

Also there is the 16ga.society.com sight that is dedicated to the sixteen and is growing in membership. It has a wealth of information about any 16ga gun or ammo you are looking for. All kinds of information on reloading such as componets. There is enough interest that Remington has made special runs on 1oz wads several times in the last year. Check it out youl will be suprised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

16 ga comming back

is 16 gauge coming back