1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 ga Springfield 1929 Model Help Request

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Steve-CT, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I'm helping a friend with an old Springfield model 1929 16 ga 2-3/4" chambered shotgun to find a replacement barrel and a replacement extractor/ejector.

I've tried the usual sites: Numrich, etc. to no avail

If anyone out there has one of these old guns to sell, even as a "parts" gun or sell the parts from it (barrel and extractor and ejector) please email me.

Thanks,

Steve

2. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

It is a single barrel. The gun is all original. The chamber needs to be sleeved and the extractor and ejector are worn.

I'm thinking it may be less expensive to find another 16 ga Springfield in better shape, or at least barrel and extractor/ejector parts therefrom than it is to ship the gun off to Briley for a $275 sleeve job and then fish around for an extractor and ejector.

3. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

4. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I will have my friend do that. From what research I did on the web, I believe the "Springfield" was in fact, a Stevens and/or Savage model.

The closest thing I found that resembles it is a Stevens model "272" that I saw on gunsamerica.com.

This particular gun is so old, there is no model number, nor is there a serial number. It does say "proof tested" 16 ga. 2-3/4" chamber with, what I believe is a modified choke. I don't recall seeing a choke mark but the gun performed like it had a modified choke according to its inherited owner and he did regularly shoot the gun for trap about 25 or so years ago until it finally developed brass head and hull splitting problems from chamber warping, hence the interest in sleeving and/or replacing the barrel.

I have learned there were variations in the shell extractor/ejector dimensions and some were different than others among the various models

Perhaps the best thing is to have him post a whole series of pics, close up
    of the part and the gun itself.

I will relay this suggestion to him and hopefully post some pics soon, and/or send you an email with them.

Thanks for your interest PerazziBigBore

5. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

another interesting highlight is this model came with a cheekpiece on the left side of the stock, like a bolt action hunting rifle with a monte carlo stock.

But the stock is not a monte carlo style comb wise.

6. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

It is a question of sentimental value to the owner, who is a close friend of mine and recently successfully, reintroduced back into trapshooting every weekend after a 20 year hiatus.

He wouldn't want to shoot the gun every weekend, but would like to take it out
    for an occasional round maybe once every year or two, to reminisce about the good old days.

So, yes, he wants to keep it in 16 ga for that reason. He shoots a 12 ga 870 now, of late 1990s vintage as his all around gun as well as some other lesser used pump and side by side guns of older vintage.

The rest of the gun appears fine. Just an old, patina blessed, finish worn single barrel field gun his grandfather used, then his father, and now on to him and if he ever has a kid, would likewise pass it down, in shootable condition. It's had a few thousand rounds put through it in almost 80 years.
    No rust or pits inside the barrel- just shot more than the gun was intended to.

Briley will sleeve it for $275 same guage and $375 down to a 20 guage

Thanks again for your continued dialogue on this gun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

parts for springfield 1929

springfield 1929 shotgun parts

springfield model 1929 parts 16 ga