1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

16 Ga Ammo Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 2bigdog, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2bigdog

2bigdog TS Member

My Brother in law has a 16 gauge that is chambered for 2 1/2" He called me to find him some ammo. I have yet to find any. Anyone know where to find some?
    Darryl

2. Guy

Guy Member

Try 16ga.com

3. wm rike

wm rike Member

Someone tell me I'm wrong, but the math says today's plastic hulls in a short chamber should not be a problem. The old 2.5" chambers were contemporaneous with paper shells. Paper shells have a hull thickness of about 25 mils. Today's plastic hulls have a thickness of about 4-5 mils at the mouth. If I profile a short chamber, 2.5" or 2.63", all the way out to the nominal bore and place a 4-5 mil thick case mouth at the 2.75" point, it will still show more diameter than the nominal bore - no constriction.

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I believe Ballistic Products carries the short 16ga shells. If he's up for reloading, I have a bunch of 2.5" plastic hulls he can have by paying the shipping.
    I would not suggest he use 2.75" shells in a 2.5" chamber gun. The crimp will not fully open and there could be excessive pressure issues.
    I just checked my BP catalog and the carry Gamebore 16ga 2.5" shells and they are only $16.59 a box.
    He might want to have the chamber length checked. A lot of the M12 16's have been opened up.

5. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just google RST Shotgun shells. Great shells--reasonable. 2 1/2 inchers in all gauges!

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

What gun does he have?

7. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Wm Rike..."Someone tell me I'm wrong, but the math says today's plastic hulls in a short chamber should not be a problem. The old 2.5" chambers were contemporaneous with paper shells. Paper shells have a hull thickness of about 25 mils. Today's plastic hulls have a thickness of about 4-5 mils at the mouth. If I profile a short chamber, 2.5" or 2.63", all the way out to the nominal bore and place a 4-5 mil thick case mouth at the 2.75" point, it will still show more diameter than the nominal bore - no constriction. "

I think you are probably right about that.

8. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

The 1st M12 16ga I bought many years ago had a short chamber. I wasn't aware there was such a think. I noticed that the shells I shot did not open completely. They were star crimp papers if I recall correctly. It didn't take too lomg to figure out what was happening. Maybe different w/ plastics.

9. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I load my own using a roll crimp. I trim approx 1/4 inch off of a 23/4 hull, load and then roll crimp to 21/2 inches. Works great.

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

What would it cost to open up the chamber ??

11. 333t

333t Member

The old time shorter shells for the 16 were actually 2 9/16", the 12's were 2 5/8 and the 20's were 2.5".

Phil

12. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

alf99, Wrights is 60.00

Ballistic Products carry short shells. Also check the 16 ga Society for references.

13. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Sir

Go to www.westleyrichards.com

They have 2 1/2"16ga shells in 7/8,or 1oz loading for 99.00 pr flat.

I have dealt with them for several years and I've always been satisfied with my purchases.

Tom

PS they have 2 1/2" 12ga also

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.