1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

15/16 of lead shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shotgunbutch, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

As of late I've been shooting 15/16 of 8.5 shot from the 16 yard line. I can't tell any difference on the breaks from 1oz or 1 1/8 oz of shot.

I have tried 7/8 oz as I see others are doing. I know the breaks are good but I just don't quite have the confidence in the 7/8 oz.

Anyone else tried the 15/16 oz of shot?

I use the Down Range xxl and the Green Duster wads. They both work fine in the STS hulls.

Arnie

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Almost everyone who is using hard shot for their one-ounce loads is shooting 15/16-ounce. Bars and bushings are sized to drop an ounce of soft shot which means they drop slightly less of the harder stuff because it contains antimony, a hardening alloy that is lighter than lead. If bars/bushings were sized to drop an ounce (or 1-1/8 ounce) of hard shot, those loading soft shot could wind up with illegal loads or increased chamber pressure than they were anticipating.

Because bars & bushings measure by volume, pellet counts remain the same with either type of shot.

Ed

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Ed, don't you really mean "... everyone who is using hard shot and a reloader that uses bushings ..."? I use a Dillon, which has adjustable powder and shot bars, so when I change to one ounce loads I get out my electronic scale and set it to drop about 437.5 grains of shot. Of course, any such device will vary drop to drop unless one weighs and adjusts individually each load, but mine stay within 4 grains or so. I'm not dropping 15/16 ounce when I want 1 ounce. Even MEC has adjustable bars available for their reloaders. If you want to drop what you really want and not something else sometime else, adjustable is the way to go.

4. PILLMAN

PILLMAN TS Member

i have been using 14/16 bushing in my mec 9000g for 7 years , for singles and skeet , after talking to neil and harlan , i use 18/16 for singles , saving the 14/16 for practice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.