1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

15/16 Federal GM reload ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hatshooter, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

guys, looking for a 15/16 Federal GM formula using Green dot & noble sport primers at around 1200- 1225 fps to be used in the summer months.. any ideas ? Many thanks, Hatshooter

2. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Alliant Red Dot or e3 powder would be a better choice and give more consistent performance with a light shot charge such as this. Green Dot is not going to generate much pressure and will be very dirty burning. ....Rick

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Hatshooter.... Rick is right on the money! For a consistant, clean burning load such as you are looking for, a faster burning powder would be a much better choice. Red Dot, Promo, e3, etc. would do a much better job for you. Green Dot is a relatively slow burning powder better suited to 11/8oz. loads in the 1225-1250fps range. This normally requires around 20-22gr. Green Dot, and for what you want, you can get by with around 17.5gr. Promo and have a great load..... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I agree with what has been written, another consideration is getting a good crimp.All the powders suggested but Red dot are pretty dense and will make getting a good crimp more difficult. Do not even try to use Green dot, as it is the wrong tool for the job. 18 grains of red dot will do the trick for you, use 12so or down range equivalent. Bruce

5. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you have a wheelbarrow full of cheap or free Green Dot, use 22 gr. There will be a "little" residue, and pressures will be very low. The Nobel will not get the job done in cold weather. The Fed hull is not a high pressure hull, either. Are you going to use the 12SO Claybuster?

These days, many of us cannot get the powder of our choice. I recently ordered a bunch of powder, and was forced to settle for what they had. I am going to fill my customer's orders as well as possible, and use whatever odd lots I can get for my personal shooting chores. I wound up with one keg each of Red Dot and E3 for my use. Not a bad thing. :^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.